Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dutch of oc

Need advice from southwest Fla.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I fished Seista keys and did well, You see a lot of fishermen fishing the beaches. Seista , Crescent, and Turtle beach. Plus you have the I.C.W. lots of good fishing.

I guess I should have been more specific, this tackle is 10 and 12 foot rods with large reels mounted in sand spikes with 2,3,4 or more oz's of weight to endure large wave action.  Is this needed in Gulf waters?    

I fish a bit to the South and have not needed more than 3 oz, when the current is ripping, it's running along the beaches, the water gets dirty and you might as well go elsewhere. I don't use anything longer than 8' usually, depends on the beach. The water does not "drop off" into deep water, you just have to find the sandbars and washes and cast into the channels that form. You won't need the 11' rod capable or tossing 8&bait. Plenty of inshore fishing where your fluke type rod & reels will be handy.

Thanks Chico, sounds like it is time to sell the old 10' Lamiglass and 12' Diawa rods and retool when I get down there.  Fished Punta Gorda and surrounding areas last year, it was great, can't wait till I'm down there full time!   

Lifting the burden of being taxed to death ,will no doubt free up lot's of cash to spend for tackle once you arrive , there is a couple of real good books to pick up (Bait / Rig's & Tackle) (Inshore Fishing) ,avail at most wal mart fishing dept here in Fl, I am sure you will find these most helpful in starting fresh in this area, books are by local Charter Capt,long time fisherman so no second hand BS

You will probaly hear term "Skinny Water" , which is less than Shallow Water, "Never Ever say "" That aint the way we do it up North " Sell coats ,ties, dress shoes, Buy lots Shorts,T shirt (No Black), few pullover shirts with collar for when you get dressed up.Hats , enjoy your self

Dutch

Definitely sell those rods and reels. I moved to the Sarasota area about 4 years ago from CT and brought all of my "Northern Gear" with me. Most of it is still sitting in my garage with 4 years of dust on it.

You will mainly use a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot light/medium action rod and smaller reels than you are used to using to match them.

I have a 7 foot St Croix light/medium with a Shimano 3000 on it. 15 lb Diamond braid that I tie off to 20lb fluorocarbon leader. I fish mainly artificial and maily Gulp 3" shrimp and I catch everything....and I mean everything on this bait.

Give me a shout when you get down here and I will shorten the learning curve for you.

I agree with most of the replies because majority of the fishing you are going to do requires lighter gear. However, in the event you are planning to fish the Atlantic side of Florida... I would hold on to a few because there are bull reds, snook, tarpon and sharks to be had from shore. :) I also have a few places on the SW where I need the long surf gear.... But for the most part I use 7' - 9' rods.

I agree with most of the replies because majority of the fishing you are going to do requires lighter gear. However, in the event you are planning to fish the Atlantic side of Florida... I would hold on to a few because there are bull reds, snook, tarpon and sharks to be had from shore. :) I also have a few places on the SW where I need the long surf gear.... But for the most part I use 7' - 9' rods.

There's some of that type of fishery on the SW coast of FL too - although to your point, it's much more so a lighter tackle game. My favorite outfit on the west coast of FL(when I'm not flyfishing) is a Cabo 40 or Slammer 360 matched with a 7 1/2' St Croix Tidemaster (medium heavy, 8-17 lb test)...

If you're going to shark or tarpon fish in that same area, most people use a reel the size that you're referring to as a 'surf reel', but mounted on a shorter but stouter rod (You might even see pier/jetty guys using conventional gear - some shark fishermen who kayak their baits out off the beach also use convention outfits as well)

But for redfish, trout, spanish mackerel, lady fish, small sharks, most snook (big snook around pier or other structure being an exception), flounder, whiting, pompano, jacks and whatever other species of fish you can catch off the SW coast of FL can easily be handled with the first outfit I mentioned...and mostly, distance isn't a factor (meaning, the longer surf rods are not really a necessity)...even 'baby' tarpon up to 20-30 lbs are very doable on that outfit

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigLuke View Post

Dutch

Definitely sell those rods and reels. I moved to the Sarasota area about 4 years ago from CT and brought all of my "Northern Gear" with me. Most of it is still sitting in my garage with 4 years of dust on it.

You will mainly use a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot light/medium action rod and smaller reels than you are used to using to match them.

I have a 7 foot St Croix light/medium with a Shimano 3000 on it. 15 lb Diamond braid that I tie off to 20lb fluorocarbon leader. I fish mainly artificial and maily Gulp 3" shrimp and I catch everything....and I mean everything on this bait.

Give me a shout when you get down here and I will shorten the learning curve for you.

Say LUKE I COULD USE A LITTTLE HELP DOWN HERE IN PORT CHARLOTTE AREA. I HAVE THE GEAR, CAUGHT A FEW AND LEARNED SOME AREA. BUT DON'T REALLY GET THE TIDE AND SEASONS. I READ THE WATERLINE AND PAPER FOR THE TIDES AND FISHED HIGH AN LOW AND INBETWEEN. IS IT TO EARLY FOR THE MAYAKA RIVER????

(*Edited - please take off the CAPSLOCK key - thanks :th: TimS)

Right now the sheepshead are still on the pilings and rocks, can catch them from shore, many of the bigger females have moved offshore. Spanish macs are making a showing, some of them the biggest of the year at 24", also can be caught from shore at the piers, jetties on the Gulf. Pompano are starting up, but still slow. Stop in at Fishing Franks, buy some shrimp, crabs, silly willy jigs, etc. and ask them what's the best bite right now.

Appreciate the advise from all, I have fished southwest Fl. many times and never disappointed.  I am coming to Sarsota in June to put down some roots and snag a tarpon, glad to see you guys love to fish and will look you up when I land!

450We got out today for the first time since we got here (other than fishing the Peace River for catfish, trout, etc.) We fished off the tressles at Placida. Sheepies were the main catch, we could not find any pompano or spanish macs. We had 4 keepers including this nice one my wife Kathy landed. Got real windy about noon and had to quit. Still a nice day in the upper 70's at the water.