Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanalPlugger23

Crazy Charlies

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just read your other post in the fly fishing forum too. Crazy Charlies are very similar to Clouser Minnows & Bendbacks in the style in which they're tied. I don't fish for Bonefish, but have used them for various panfish, in both fresh & tidal water, and I use them for Smallmouth bass in streams. They make an excellent crawfish imitation, particularly if you add a few strands of silicone or rubber legs. White & Yellow Perch, & Crappies love them!

I've never used them specifically for Stripers, but have used Bendbacks. Crazy Charlies are actually smaller versions of Bendbacks, so if you decide you want to tie them in larger sizes, like 1/0 or larger, you're really just tying a Bendback. The largest hook I've ever tied Crazy Charlie's on has been a size 1, and I primarily tie them in 6 to 2. You can really tie them in any size you wish.

The easiest recipe I can think of is bead chain or small barbell eyes. I like brass barbell's because the lead seem to break too easily. You can add a tail if you like. I sometimes add a tail of several strands of Flashabou or Polar Flash, usually pearl if I want some extra flash. An underbody of flat mylar tinsel, your choice of color, and an over body of wrapped clear vinyl. There are a couple of vinyl body materials that will work. I like those that have a flat side & a rounded side with the rounded side facing up, but round or flat material will work too, and most craft shops carry it in some form, as do many tying materials suppliers. Then a wing of a fine hair. Calf tail is used a lot, but badger, arctic fox, monga ringtail, squirrel tail & others could also be used. You can use whatever material you fancy, and tie in whatever colors you like.

When I tie them for Perch or Crappies I like to add some extra flash in the wing as well, just a few strands of Flashabou or Polar Flash.

Fact is, many of the Bonefish, or "flats" patterns used today are tied in the same style as a Crazy Charlie, so there are literally hundreds of variations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidewaterfly View Post

I just read your other post in the fly fishing forum too. Crazy Charlies are very similar to Clouser Minnows & Bendbacks in the style in which they're tied. I don't fish for Bonefish, but have used them for various panfish, in both fresh & tidal water, and I use them for Smallmouth bass in streams. They make an excellent crawfish imitation, particularly if you add a few strands of silicone or rubber legs. White & Yellow Perch, & Crappies love them!

I've never used them specifically for Stripers, but have used Bendbacks. Crazy Charlies are actually smaller versions of Bendbacks, so if you decide you want to tie them in larger sizes, like 1/0 or larger, you're really just tying a Bendback. The largest hook I've ever tied Crazy Charlie's on has been a size 1, and I primarily tie them in 6 to 2. You can really tie them in any size you wish.

The easiest recipe I can think of is bead chain or small barbell eyes. I like brass barbell's because the lead seem to break too easily. You can add a tail if you like. I sometimes add a tail of several strands of Flashabou or Polar Flash, usually pearl if I want some extra flash. An underbody of flat mylar tinsel, your choice of color, and an over body of wrapped clear vinyl. There are a couple of vinyl body materials that will work. I like those that have a flat side & a rounded side with the rounded side facing up, but round or flat material will work too, and most craft shops carry it in some form, as do many tying materials suppliers. Then a wing of a fine hair. Calf tail is used a lot, but badger, arctic fox, monga ringtail, squirrel tail & others could also be used. You can use whatever material you fancy, and tie in whatever colors you like.

When I tie them for Perch or Crappies I like to add some extra flash in the wing as well, just a few strands of Flashabou or Polar Flash.

Fact is, many of the Bonefish, or "flats" patterns used today are tied in the same style as a Crazy Charlie, so there are literally hundreds of variations.

Thanks for the info!!!

You're welcome! Take a look at "Gotcha's" too. Basically a variation of the Crazy Charlie, and there are several Gotcha versions.

Also take a look at a pattern called a "Squimp". It has a fairly easy recipe to tie also, and makes a decent shrimp or squid pattern. (Thus the name!)

It's another pattern I like to use for Smallmouths as a crawfish imitation. Just adjust the colors to fit the local conditions.

Google should give you some good results for both of these. :D

Whilst I haven't fished for Bonefish for a few years now, and I have certainly never fished Bonefish flies for stripers, one of my most successful flies when i did target bones was this version of a Squimp.

Basically it is the same profile as the original dressing but instead of using chenille for the body, and craft fur or calf tail, this is dressed as follows, although if you are going to give it a go for stripers, you could of course try other colours such asd Olive, Grey, Baby Pink etc.,

Thread 8/0 Tan Uni

Tail (Mouth) Pearl Crystal Flash & Tan Arctic Fox

Body: Dubbed Arctic Fox Under Fur ribbed with 12lb clear mono

Eyes: Yellow Real Eyes (Size to Suit)

Legs Barred or Plain Tan

Wing: Tan Arctic Fox

Genty, nice looking fly! I also like to tie them with fox hair. Dub the bodies too sometimes. Since I'm using them as Smallmouth flies & crawfish imitations most of the time, I'll use a couple of different hair types, including red fox tail, coyote & kit fox tail. I dye some hair in various shades of olive, browns, rust & tans, but also use the natural colored hairs too. Also like natural color Pine Squirrel tail. I feel it's a very versatile fly, and someday hope to catch some Redfish on it. I've caught them on bait, but not as yet on flies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genty View Post

Whilst I haven't fished for Bonefish for a few years now, and I have certainly never fished Bonefish flies for stripers, one of my most successful flies when i did target bones was this version of a Squimp.

Basically it is the same profile as the original dressing but instead of using chenille for the body, and craft fur or calf tail, this is dressed as follows, although if you are going to give it a go for stripers, you could of course try other colours such asd Olive, Grey, Baby Pink etc.,

Thread 8/0 Tan Uni

Tail (Mouth) Pearl Crystal Flash & Tan Arctic Fox

Body: Dubbed Arctic Fox Under Fur ribbed with 12lb clear mono

Eyes: Yellow Real Eyes (Size to Suit)

Legs Barred or Plain Tan

Wing: Tan Arctic Fox

What size hook?

What size hook?

That particular one is tied on a size 2 Mustad Signature C70SD......And I also have them in sizes 1, 4 & 6, however it must be remembered that I tied these for Bonefish, and if you are intending to give them a go for stripers, you could perhaps go to a size 1 or even a 1/0.

Purely coincidental I know, but I spend the first week in October fishing Montauk, and I would say that at least 80% of all the fish I have taken including Albies and Bluefish, as well as Stripers, during the past 6 or 7 years, have been landed on flies tied on these hooks in sizes 2 and/or 4.....But there again, my visits are aimed to coincide with the main prey species being Bay Anchovies.;)

Hope this helps