Let's talk about holdovers in the canal.

Rate this topic

night owl

i had my boat in new bedford harbor. 4-5 years ago they were dumping chum out of a fish plany, and the blues were there in force~ maybe it was longer ago, but i do remember it.

only one plant i recall was dumping, right after a boat unloaded

Although striped bass is the primary species I've dealt with in the past, I have dealt with blues on several 'holdover' occasions and even albies one lone year - at a certain eastern CT powerplant the November and December prior to 9/11 (access to the plant has been cut off since)

I don't think the power plant is running anymore.........As far as holdovers in the canal I just cannot see it......The water is way to cold........When bass holdover they usually find a river or creek with spring holes.......These springholes release groundwater that is between 52-55 degrees.....Stripers will set up around these spring holes......blue crab, eels and toadfish will too. Stories of locals eeling through the ice around spring holes are sprinkled with tales of catching 3-10 pound stripers........I have fished the canal all winter long for many years with both rod and trap and I have never caught or seen a striper.......

Hmm.... That makes me wonder now. Has anybody ever caught a striper in the canal in the winter? Anybody??? I know it wouldn't be easy but I don't think it's impossible either. I'm sure every now and then some lost or crazy striper will swim by.

Hmm.... That makes me wonder now. Has anybody ever caught a striper in the canal in the winter? Anybody??? I know it wouldn't be easy but I don't think it's impossible either. I'm sure every now and then some lost or crazy striper will swim by.

Night owl......just go fish a red gill on a nice day.....fish the plugging tides right at the east end and see what you get.............

• 3 weeks later...

Around this time last year my wife and I took a run out of New Bedford harbor on the M/V CUTTYHUNK for a seal hunt,...er, ....... uh, I mean watch! We didn't really need to go that far as there were two harbor seals swimming around a couple of the trawlers before we even cleared the docks. And there were easily a couple of hundred laying in the sun on the bar outside of Cuttyhunk Harbor. They were stacked beach to beach, stem to stern. Even if a striper could find a temperate hole to hang out in over the winter what chance would they stand against those odds?

• 7 months later...