Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
night owl

Let's talk about holdovers in the canal.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

There are still many good trolls here and we all share the same love for the canal. Let's take our mind off of the negatives and let's focus on our striped friends.

Personally, I've neva fished for holdovers in the canal but I'm so itchy to fish there that I'm ready to try it. I've always thought that calmer shallow bays would give a better chance at a holdover but now I'm starting to doubt this. I know for a fact in the hot summer months the water down in the ditch is much cooler than anywhere else around by many degrees. Even if the two bay water temps are very warm, the water in the bottom of the canal is still very cold. That deep moving water just doesn't get too affected by the hot summer conditions. It's like a weird thermal barrier down there. So now I'm wondering. Does that mean that the water temp down in the canal would be colder right now than the bay waters kinda like in the summer? I really don't think so. Here's why. I know shallow waters cool off quicker in the fall than the deep waters and the deep waters just don't get as cold in the winter than the shallow waters. And I know in the winter that moving water tends not to freeze by never getting cold enough. The moving water generates a little bit of heat. Perhaps the warmest waters in this area are really in the canal? I'm not saying it's warm down there but just that it's not as cold as our bay waters. Like in the summer months, maybe the water temp down in there is less affected by the winter conditions than the water in the two bays. What do you think?

Anyone fishin for holdovers in there? Has anyone ever caught one there in the winter months? Let's hear it?

I think the whole column of water has movement, so the temps would be consistent with any water temp of the same depth in either buzzards bay or cape cod bay. If there are hold overs, how would you fish for them (bait?)?

I have thought about fishing the canal for holdovers many times but have never followed through with the plan. I think the areas with more gentle currents and eddies would be the first places to check.

I think the whole column of water has movement, so the temps would be consistent with any water temp of the same depth in either buzzards bay or cape cod bay. If there are hold overs, how would you fish for them (bait?)?

I'm a lure fisherman so that is what I'd be using.

I have thought about fishing the canal for holdovers many times but have never followed through with the plan. I think the areas with more gentle currents and eddies would be the first places to check.

I agree. I would fish those easy waters too. But even if no fish are around, then who cares. This is a great time of the year to jig around the canal and just learn the bottom some more. There are miles of shoreline on both sides that could always be further investigated. I like going to new places and tapping the bottom with my jig. You neva know when you could find a nice hole or some structure that could produce good fish when they do return. And in the mean time, you neva know. You could get lucky! ;)

What I need to do is check the water temp at low tide and compare it to the temp at the buoys outside the canal. I'm curious to see what that water temp is there at this time of the year in comparison to the bay waters. In the summer it's a big difference but now I dunno but will soon find out.

I didn't witness this for myself - although several respected SOL members (including one in this thread) saw a couple of stripers right up in the herring run during a late winter month during the past couple of years...I think some people tried to catch them, but they were unwilling to eat

It's nice to see some fishing chatter in this forum. :)

Imagine the fish when he gets hooked this time of the year thinking to itself......What the heck I cant get a break :shock:

GO PATS!

I believe there was a picture of the holdovers in the run posted last year. They tried tossing some food to them (mack?) but they didn't eat.

best bet in my opinion is to fish bait @ the slack, easier and more tempting to a cold, lethargic fish.

Another spot that i have always thought of is new bedford harbor, along the fish processing plants, that constantly pump the water with fish remains.

In CT were there are large populations of deep dwelling holdovers in 2 or 3 of our major rivers, the preferred choice of lure is a small soft plastic on a 3/8 or 1/2 oz jig head fished deep and slow. Gotta bounce it off their heads and piss em off.

AS to New Bedford - The plants don't dump chum into the harbors anymore and haven't for a long time. North of 195 ha given me some fish over the years.

Go with pearl 2-3 inch storm shads.

I don't think the power plant is running anymore.........As far as holdovers in the canal I just cannot see it......The water is way to cold........When bass holdover they usually find a river or creek with spring holes.......These springholes release groundwater that is between 52-55 degrees.....Stripers will set up around these spring holes......blue crab, eels and toadfish will too. Stories of locals eeling through the ice around spring holes are sprinkled with tales of catching 3-10 pound stripers........I have fished the canal all winter long for many years with both rod and trap and I have never caught or seen a striper.......

i had my boat in new bedford harbor. 4-5 years ago they were dumping chum out of a fish plany, and the blues were there in force~ maybe it was longer ago, but i do remember it.

only one plant i recall was dumping, right after a boat unloaded