Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blushin

Rods used on delaware beaches

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

hey guys,

so ive been fishing delaware waters ever since i was born.  thought i would start a thread and see what rods guys are using on the beaches in their setups

phill

For me it all depends on the type of fishing and situation...

If I'm heaving big bait and 8oz then I am using my 12' footers (Mojo, Tica, and Shimano) w/ Heavy Power.  I tend to prefer the heavier power for the big baits but it's just a personal preference.  I've got these paired up with my Abu 6500 sized reels on 17lb mono backed w/braid.

I also have a 11 and 10 footer that I use for catching blues on blue rigs.  I like the smaller rods for catching them as you may feel a little more fight then my heavers.  I've caught some good fighting rays on these and have had a blast.

In the summer I switch one of my 12 footers to my 7000 sized reel for Sharking/Rays loaded w/braid for more line capacity.

My beach plugging rod is a 9" foot mojo.  It seems to be a nice length for casting 1 1/2 - 3oz plugs/metal for me.

On the jetty i use 2 8'footers (one is a Tica (spinning 3/4 -3) and St Croix Tidemaster (casting 3/4 - 3).  Both are heavy power.  I will also use these in the summer to catch spot and kingfish or throwing lighter jigs.  Makes catching them alot more fun.

I've alway thought about building a custom but just haven't gotten around to it.  So far the factory roll-outs have worked pretty well for me.

Maybe one day I'll get around to testing out some of these custom blanks and take up a new hobby in rod building.  I hear they are great.

On beach for me it's heavers and more heavers. I have sticks from 12' to 13'6" with lure ratings from 4-14oz. It really depends on the conditions, the species I'm targeting, and the bait I'm using. For instance, on a nice calm evening in May I'll throw only 6nbait (bait and a 6oz weight) sticks such as a loomis 1448, rainshadow 1502, Lami 1502, and Lami super surf. If the conditions were to change and more weight was needed I would switch to the true 8nbait sticks like my CTS, Rainshadow 1569, and Tica dolphin.

Light sticks are for bass and blues, heavy sticks are for drum and shark. As stated above the heavy sticks also double as emergency gear in case the weather takes a foul turn.

As far as reels are concerned, I like Abu 6500CT's and use them for bass. I use larger reels for drum and sharks like Daiwa 30's, and Abu 7500CTs. I will be rotating in a penn squall 15 and possibly a new Penn fathom this year. I've also added a Daiwa saltiga ballistic to the arsenal.

The question remains, what to get next? :naughty:

Since I'm getting LOWER and SLOWER myself mebbe I should be fishin' in DE where I'd fit in better. Wouldn't hafta try so hard to keep up with the young studs. But if I was I'd certainly use my kingfish rods. I am partial to the LOW & SLOW rainshadows. I like the 1502, the SUR1505 for lighter stuff, the SUR 1508, and the SU1569. Don't see a need for any reel other than a magged abu 6500. I do have some other stuff but it mostly just gets to ride around in the truck. It's all fun...

2011 was my first year so I'm no expert, but I use a 15' ugly stick with a penn sg8000 for throwing big cut bait.  I just bought an 11' penn pursuit that's more comfortable, but I can get about 10 more yards out of the ugly stick.  I'm planning on getting a 12 or 13 ft breakaway this spring though.  In a light surf when there's kingfish and spot I've used my 7' penn allegiance with a feirce 4000 reel, makes for a fun fight when I catch a skate lol.

I fish there a ton in the summer. Basically i use a 7' Bass Pro inshore Extreme rod, with an abu cs5500. about 1/2 the time you can't spike this rod....but it's more fun for kings than my next smallest, a 9' Dolphin. Hoping to build a 7'6 - 8' medium light spinner soon, that I think would be the stuff for whiting along Delaware, something you could spike and enjoy or walk and enjoy.

... I thought the gear used in DE was LOWER and SLOWER than the other stuff????

Marcus, you know better than that LMAO

It really depends on what you are after, like others said. Now Steve Z posted he is getting a little slow, I have to admit I am getting a little slow myself, but I am still quick on the draw. Spring and fall RS1569, RS 1502 and they are 11-13'. The summer slows down a bit and I use a variety of rods for Spot, Blues and Kings. Those rods would be 7-10' and a spinning reel. The larger rods are all conventional to be easier on this old man.

now i never said there was anything wrong LOWER SLOWER :D

But all great advice, seems to follow the basic rule, its best to match the equipment to how much weight your throwing, and at times the current and waves (more during changing seasons, which matches fish showing up) help you decide.... you need to throw at least 8 to fish (for bait).

I'm just messin' with the NC Hillbilly! Lower Slower has it's place. On the beach a progressive action keeps soft baits ie. peeler, shrimp, clams, funky bunky on the hook better through the cast. And using braid they will hook panfish a whole lot better when spiked out. Plus... 2 days into a 3 day marathon they are easy on the bones. All my plug rods are slower. They keep the hooks in.

Other than that??? They come in handy when you can't stay in front of a true heaver.