Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yodisbsteve

daiwa ss 3000

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to buy this reel for approx $160.  i was looking for a relatively durable, long distance casting reel for $170 or under to pair with my 12' emcast.  Id be surf fishing with this rod, no dunking, maybe a little splashing though.  I have read through a lot of the older posts on distance casting spinners, i was just wondering if at $160 this is a good buy or should i just go with newer models?

Yodi.....I owned one for over 12 years....and sold it to some lucky fellow on this site. It was/is a superb distance reel and quite tough..........well ahead of it's time. I also owned a SS9000 during the same time, but only kept it a couple years. Although it had a 45mm spool (compared to 35mm for the 3000), I could consistently outcast the 9000 with the 3000.......contributed that to the forward taper of the 3000 vs no taper for the 9000. I have nothing but good things to say about the SS3000......if it's in superb shape and not been abused...........you'll have a winner!

Love the SS series from Daiwa really do as well as all tournaments actually.

But in all honesty the retrieve on the SS-9000, GS-9000 and TS6000T is just plain horrible.

Think the SS-3000, GS-3000, TS5000T is much better proportioned reel in that sense.

Thought it was worth mentioning scuba.gif