Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aladormax

New conventional surf rod- advice needed

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey all i am thinking about picking up a new conventional rod on the cheap, less than $50, and would like some names and advice for what I should look at/ buy. It would be used for general purpose surf fishing in nj a few times over the summer and spring. Any help is more than appreciated

For chunking? 50 is not going to get you much. But, if you double that, now you are in the Tsunami range. My chunk rod is actually a Tsunami Air Wave 11' conventional stick. The "Air Wave" conventional is a little more expensive, but there are other Tsunami conventional models that are right around $100. They are decent and durable conventional chunk sticks.

Daiwa Beefstick 12 ft casting. It's rated 2-10oz but probably will be more like a 2-6. **** on the web has them for $34.99. It's within your budget.

The cheapest/best for the money has to still be the ugly stick but that is over your price range. I'm not a big fan of used but it might be the way to go. that's a very tough price point for what you are looking for.

Best for price, but above your range, that I know of, purely for heaving bait, is the Off-Shore Angler Ocean Master OM12SC, 12ft, rated 6-12 oz. Current version is slightly changed since I went to Hatteras in 2005/2006, but earlier model was quite popular with the Buxton Beach/Hatteras Point Crowd. Summer in NJ, especially in Ocean County, is prime time for big surf sharks on Bunker Heads late afternoon into night, spring is good for stripers on same bait early morning or dusk on both sides of high tide. Often times, an offshore swell will create a strong enough surf cross-current where you need 8 oz to hold bottom, especially near/over the outer bar. Pair this with a Diawa Sealine SL-X30HA, 20lb test Suffix siege or elite monofilament, 60 lb shock Leader with a Hatteras Style Fish-Finder rig and an 8/0 Gamagatsu circle hook. By the way, start off with the red brake blocks in the reel, round side up.