Coalition's Stance on RECREATIONAL spearfishing for striped bass

Rate this topic

pakalolo

Can any member of the Coalition explain the position of the Coalition on recreational spearfishing for bass? I've tried speaking to the President, but have not received a straight answer, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

..give it up.... do you really think spearfishing in the inlets will be good for surfcasters?

that's all I need to know..

Keep doing what you do Willy

Bucktail sail way off the coast in your boat we'll take care of things on the shore..

Have a nice day.

Save the Menhaden.
Protect Shark fishing by ending Shark finning.

Can any member of the Coalition explain the position of the Coalition on recreational spearfishing for bass? I've tried speaking to the President, but have not received a straight answer, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

For the 20th time .There is no N.Y C.R.F. position on Rec. spearfishing for bass. ( try and tell us which bass you are talking about).How is your vacation going ?

Willie

Thanks for the response Willy,that wasn't that hard was it? Vacation's going well thanks, fishing tomorrow,will post report.

Likeitreallyis: Not a boat guy, I fish the inlets regularly and spearfishing guys haven't been a problem for me for the past 20 years, in fact, it's a help to get an eye witness report on what's there.

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

..problem is the inlet I fish you aren't even allowed to dive nevermind spearfishing but they do both anyway.. from plovers to shrinking acess, homeowner problems, surfers who want in on the little fishing acess we have left, now spearfishing both rec and comm at my feet as well? Sorry but sometimes you just have to stand up for that little piece that';s left. More access, more user groups would be welcomed. How about the spearfishermen get together and meet, vote in representitives and get some more access on their own instead of trying to muscle in on existing areas that shrink every year?

Save the Menhaden.
Protect Shark fishing by ending Shark finning.

New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing

August 2011

To Whom It May Concern;

We are writing with regard to Bill A 08288 that would permit the taking of striped bass for sale with the use of a spear gun. We are opposed to this legislation.

Our reasons for opposing this bill are quite obvious. Recruitment in the major spawning areas, Chesapeake Bay and the Hudson River, has been very poor through the first decade of the new millennium. Harvesting, however, has remained high. As a result, recreational anglers in all areas are reporting alarming declines in striped bass catches. This is exactly what happened in the late 1970s and 1980s and authorities did not respond to the building crisis in spite of the warnings from recreational anglers and conservationists. As a result, a harvest moratorium had to be established in order to allow the species to replenish its stocks. With that experience in mind, we need to be vigilant about this decline and take steps to prevent a repeat of that disaster. In fact, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is charged with the management of striped bass, and they have announced in 2012 they will consider an amendment to the management plan intended to reduce harvests.

In that regard, increasing harvests, regardless of the means used to take the fish would be foolhardy. Harvesting via spear gun poses additional problems that must be addressed. Whereas recreational anglers are able to catch sublegal fish and return them to the water, other gear such as trawls and spear guns makes that difficult at best and impossible at worst. Although spear fishermen may suggest that they are able to see clearly and select the specimens they chose to harvest, the reality is that our waters are turbid for most of the year and additionally, spear fishermen have only seconds to spot a striper, judge its size, and decide to spear it or not.

Although concerns about the inability of spear gun harvesters to selectively harvest are real, and compounded by the impossibility of taking and releasing fish, the main reason to oppose this legislation is that at this time we should not be taking any action that will allow additional harvesting being it recreational or commercial.

Yours truly,

William A. Young

President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing

If anything, adding the word 'recreational' to the letter bolsters the the coalitions claim of conservation of the striped bass.

Doesn't sound to me like they're living up to their mission statement

Our Mission: 1: To promote and encourage the sport of fishing, including baitcasting, flycasting,and other forms of fishing