Buying replacement fly rod tubes with

Rate this topic

RegDunlop

...dividers. Like the St Croix fly rod tubes.

I have some fly rods that have the dividers and some that are an open tube and bag....I like the dividers better.

It's a PIA to have to put the rod in the bag then roll it up and put in the tube.

Anybody know a good replacement tube with dividers , and by good I mean reasonably ( ok...cheap) priced.

And as long as I brought up some stupid trivial questions here are two more related..

The rods I have with the bags, is there a certain order they are supposed to be repacked?

And if I am able to get home and rinse off the rod after breaking it down , is it okay to put the rod away wet in the divided bag and tube?

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land

Don't know about replacement tubes, but never put the rod in the tube wet, you'd be inviting corrosion.

JC

how about getting long strips of thick cardboard and using them as dividers in the tubes you have?

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

Don't know about replacement tubes, but never put the rod in the tube wet, you'd be inviting corrosion.

JC

Most tubes are either made of metal or a hard plastic covered with some kind of Cordoba wrapping.

The only ones I've seen with dividers were the Albright travel tubes.

The Bags AKA Rod Socks come sown in sections. When putting the rod in the sock I put the Butt section in the 1 larger section with the butt ( Cork ) at the top of the sock. The other pieces go in with the thicker part of the rod on the bottom. Meaning the tip of the rod is on the top of the sock. By putting the rod away this way all sections are protected .

Like stated never put the rod away in the tube wet especially a bamboo rod.

BPS, Cabelas and occasionally others have "leftover" tubes for $5-10 but they are usually undivided. I don't remember for sure but Albright and perhaps some others have the divided tubes. I personally do not like the dividers as much as the sock. Perhaps you could find someone to swap tubes of equal length in the BST.

BPS, Cabelas and occasionally others have "leftover" tubes for $5-10 but they are usually undivided. I don't remember for sure but Albright and perhaps some others have the divided tubes. I personally do not like the dividers as much as the sock. Perhaps you could find someone to swap tubes of equal length in the BST.

Thanks.

St croix and Orvis both sell fly rods with tubes with dividers, Orvis also sells some models with the sock/empty tube. Neither sell those tubes empty as far as I can tell.

I would never put a wet rod in a tube and seal it, I meant putting the rod in the sock wet.

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land