Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaxKatt

Alabama Rig: Question on swivel and trailer options.

11 posts in this topic

I know they're relatively new, but anyone have one or fish one?

I ordered two. Big backlog on most mfg's of them. A Picaso School-E-Rig arrived this week.

Question one:

Any reason I couldn't/shouldn't swap the swivel/clips out for tiny sampo ones I have. I know I have smaller. Not sure if going for a small profile even makes a difference on a rig like this. If it's all about creating the illusion of a school and triggering a reaction strike, perhaps I'm wasting my time/money swaping out for tiny Sampo's. Thoughts appreciated.

Question two:

For the actual baits, can I go without jig heads? My concern is how well it will cast. Note it doesn't have a lead jig head up front. Another one I ordered by Mann'shas a lead jig head. My thinking on this one was to go light. No lead jig head, and I was going to put five Gamakatsu hooks on, and slip silver sparkle Mister Twister Grub tails on it. In my mind's eye, this would be as close to a virtual school as I can created. Thoughts appreciated.

It's funny you posted this i had a long talk about these rigs with a buddy last night. Do you know heavy the leaders are and how about the swivels do you knowhow strong they are?

You could definitely swap the swivels out, just make sure you replace them with strong ones. Don't want to lose a 5 pounder to a broken swivel, my friend did the same thing last week on his 'Bama rig.

And from what I've seen, Jigheads are kind of necessary. They increase the weight, which keeps the rig lower in the water column and obviously helps with casting. But, if you're fishing shallow water or want the rig to be riding high in the water column then you could go without jigheads. The problem is that if you throw swimbaits on there without jigheads then they tend to want to roll over and spin. The jighead acts as a keel.

In PA we can only use 3 hooks, and the way I attach the other 2 swimbaits is with the owner twist locks. Just the spring itself, and it works great. However on these two baits without the hooks you have to take off the swivel. If you attach an unweighted, unhooked swimbait to a swivel all it will do it spin in the water.

Max don't have alot of info on this yet but I have bought the same rig you got. Some people I've talked to said it needed the jig heads bigger in the center & smaller on the outside to make it swim correct. I asked the same ?. But if you think about you will need that extra weight to cast it any distance.One place I saw where they had it texas rigged with creature baits& the arms positioned to be fished on the bottom. I think its pretty unlimited to how you can rig & fish this.

As far as changing the swivels out I would stay with what came on it. If 5 big metal arms don't spoke the fish don't see where the swivels will. I know the winter series tournaments down here have been blistering them with this rig averaging 18 to 25 plus lbs per tournament. Don't know if any of this helped any but I'm looking forward to messing with it on 2 small lakes I fish that I know have double digit bass in it. Goodluck

Thanks on all replies.

CrazyBell & Turd Ferg...I'm up in NY, so we don't get a whole lotta 5 lber's up here. Never lost even a nice one to broken terminal "metal" like snaps/swivel. If I loose them, it's because I've tied a bad knot (as evidenced by the "pig tail" I get back), so I think I'm okay swaping to the tiny sampo. With that said, given the other respones, I think I spare the time and expense and try to throw it as is before playing Mad Scientist.

Koofy- Regarding the PA rule on three hooks. I did see a model that had fewer baits, and on the other arms silver willow blades. If you want to try this there and stay legal, that seems like a reasonable alternative. Might even be more effective.

Longone...thanks on the jig head. As mentioned, I did order the Mann model that comes with them, so I'll throw it and compare the two.

What I do is put the 3 jig heads on the 2 bottom arms and on the middle. The 2 top arms rarely get bit because they are usually suspended fish that come up so Ill take my chances ;) It swims rather nice actually when only using 3 jig heads

What I do is put the 3 jig heads on the 2 bottom arms and on the middle. The 2 top arms rarely get bit because they are usually suspended fish that come up so Ill take my chances ;) It swims rather nice actually when only using 3 jig heads

What do you put on the top 2 arms?...just willow blades, or something like I was describing...no lead head, just hook with grub tail. Or nothing?

What do you put on the top 2 arms?...just willow blades, or something like I was describing...no lead head, just hook with grub tail. Or nothing?

The rig Ive been using has been the Picasso School-E-Rig and the Power Tackle Get Em' Goin' Rig. I use the 4 inch regular Keitech Swing Impacts on 1/4 oz wire jig heads (so they bend instead of snapping my line on hang ups). The bottom 3 get jigheads while I take the top 2 swivels off and attach the springs in the pic below, which literally screw into the bait, making them swim normally like the others, just with no hooks. 389

The rig Ive been using has been the Picasso School-E-Rig and the Power Tackle Get Em' Goin' Rig. I use the 4 inch regular Keitech Swing Impacts on 1/4 oz wire jig heads (so they bend instead of snapping my line on hang ups). The bottom 3 get jigheads while I take the top 2 swivels off and attach the springs in the pic below, which literally screw into the bait, making them swim normally like the others, just with no hooks. 389

Interesting. Thanks.