Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ORourke

Penn 650ss Makes Grinding Noise Under Load

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

First time fishing with the reel, I was popping a 2oz pencil and the reel started to make a grinding noise 15 casts in. The reel is quiet when turning the handle with no weight or pressure is applied but as soon as there is pressure it starts making noise. I have taken apart, inspected all parts for damage, cleaned and regreased to no avail. Any help would be much appreicated and would like to fix this myself.

It could be the line roller or roller sleeve. You might want to check all 3 bearings while you're at it. With no pressure applied most of the Penn reels will sometimes feel smooth and relatively quiet even if there is a bad bearing, especially the pinion gear bearing Part # 20-704. I would check the left and right side bearings as well as the pinion bearing by removing them and physically checking them. If you hold the center race with your index finger and thumb on each side, roll the bearing on a smooth lightly padded surface. It should be very fluid and smooth rolling. Do the same for the others. By pushing down on the bearing and rolling it you are applying pressure. You will know if it is bad. Good time to service the reel while it is apart also. Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick C. View Post

It could be the line roller or roller sleeve. You might want to check all 3 bearings while you're at it. With no pressure applied most of the Penn reels will sometimes feel smooth and relatively quiet even if there is a bad bearing, especially the pinion gear bearing Part # 20-704. I would check the left and right side bearings as well as the pinion bearing by removing them and physically checking them. If you hold the center race with your index finger and thumb on each side, roll the bearing on a smooth lightly padded surface. It should be very fluid and smooth rolling. Do the same for the others. By pushing down on the bearing and rolling it you are applying pressure. You will know if it is bad. Good time to service the reel while it is apart also. Good Luck!

Thanks man, another member helped me out and it was the line roller, just had to clean and regrease it, thanks again.