RM Surf Striders - in Online Store now!

Rate this topic

labrador 1

OK Time to bite...maybehooked.gif: I'm planning on heading to FL in the Fall to visit a friend who lives on a brackish portion of the St. John river, sometimes called -- or so I hear -- "the bass capital of the world". Being  brackish water the the types of fish one can catch include both fresh and salt water species. Reportedly the following can be caught on  that stretch of river include channel cats, tarpon, stripers, large mouth bass, etc., and range in size from the very small to the very large, depending on where you are fishing. It is prime Cypress tree country with a lot of fish  breeding, and living around submerged roots and under the ubiquitous water lily pads.  A few years ago I caught a small sting ray in just such an area.  I'm looking for a top water plug that can go subsurface but then float back up. At 2.25 oz I should have no problem slinging this plug  w-a-a-y-y-y  out in the river from the shore, the question is at 5.5 inches might this be too big a plug for what I might expect to catch?  If not, which of the colors available would you recommend?? If so, do you have something a bit smaller than the "Surf Strider" ?? Thanks.