Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mako20ft

704Z Spool Play

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have a DaveT custom 704Z that I recently acquired. For you Penn guys in the know, what is considered an acceptable amount of play in the spool and by that I mean up and down the axle. I'm not referring to the antireverse but rather if I grasp the spool and push up and down I have about 3/16" heavy of travel. If that is normal then no problem but I'm having some modest problems with line not laying thoroughly at the top of travel and it may be related to the infrequent wind knot

If the play I'm talking about is excessive can anyone recommend the part(s) that may be worn and need replacement?

Thanks, schematic below for reference :th:

Dutch

700 issue.

there is a certain amount of play that way in the spinfishers . if none of the parts involved in that mechanism are not worn there still will be a little play .

as far as line laying ; that is another reason why i prefer the 706 . it lays down line better when the 704 is converted . some people like to bend the bail arm on the 704 to help with line lay and that can help .

there is a certain amount of play that way in the spinfishers . if none of the parts involved in that mechanism are not worn there still will be a little play .

as far as line laying ; that is another reason why i prefer the 706 . it lays down line better when the 704 is converted . some people like to bend the bail arm on the 704 to help with line lay and that can help .

Thanks for the information. I should have mentioned it's a PUM conversion...thankfully it's a Penn kit but I've no idea if that makes it better than the aftermarket kits that were somewhat available. From the gist of what you're saying I think the travel is normal though. There is no indication of excessive wear on the internals.

Now, I just have to settle on a proper braid selection to keep the wind knots at bay.

the key is to really spool your line on tight originally . ultimately you find the spot where wind knots stop . i like to work towards that before i start using light lures and Pencil popping in crosswinds , etc . .

braid is a little more maintenance but worth it in the end . many people prefer Fireline , including me .

The 704 can be alittle sloppy with that spool play. 3/16" seems like alot. I have used PP and Fireline on the 704 manuals and prefer fireline. The problem with the PP for me was that PP is too limp and will occassioanlly catch on the back of the roller nut.

The 704 can be alittle sloppy with that spool play. 3/16" seems like alot. I have used PP and Fireline on the 704 manuals and prefer fireline. The problem with the PP for me was that PP is too limp and will occassioanlly catch on the back of the roller nut.

Give me minute and I'll show you a few pics of the line lay and also a frustrating habit the Power Pro has of wrapping itself around the PUM shoulder. I will take you up on the advice of Fireline. I believe I have several spools of the original in 40lb which I'll try today (4-10hr shifts and off Friday...loving it).

Dutch

as long as all the parts are in good shape there is going to be play like that . the only other thing would be that your not missing your teflon shaft washer or any of your drag washers .

don't forget to back your fireline with mono . 30lb. original is a good starting point to go through the curve of using braid type line . for that reel 20 lb. be good also down the road . you should never have to have your line that lowly spooled on your reel .

there is a learning curve and a certain amount of maintenance , especially using a braid with the 704 . but once you get used to it it will become second nature to you .

When you refer to play or travel in the spool, is the drag tight and you can see the axel travel or just the spool? if it is just the spool, you have a drag issue like missing washers or an incorrect bushing install. Take the spool off and push/pull up and down on the axel itself, does it travel? If so, tighten the crosswind arm screw at the base of the axel. This problem actually sounds like the axel screw is loose.

When you refer to play or travel in the spool, is the drag tight and you can see the axel travel or just the spool? if it is just the spool, you have a drag issue like missing washers or an incorrect bushing install. Take the spool off and push/pull up and down on the axel itself, does it travel? If so, tighten the crosswind arm screw at the base of the axel. This problem actually sounds like the axel screw is loose.

You are correct in that it is the axle assembly and not just the spool itself which are moving. The retaining screw is in place, tight and also has a coat of thread lock on it. I'm continuing to modify the reel which is another thread. Once it's done I'm going to ask a mod to move it over here as the discussion went quickly from a rod "line slap" topic to a 704Z line lay with braid topic. It's an interesting read if you have time...

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/833431/line-slap-wind-knots-and-other-phenomenom

Dutch

Check to make sure the line roller is on the main gear. If that is there, you may have a wobbled out crosswind arm. should not be much play at all in the crosswind arm where it lays on the main gear roller washer.

Check to make sure the line roller is on the main gear. If that is there, you may have a wobbled out crosswind arm. should not be much play at all in the crosswind arm where it lays on the main gear roller washer.

Took your advice and checked the connection of the roller stud to the crosswind cam...they are nice and tightly mated to each other. I can't find any evidence of wear to the internal components at all actually. I've come to believe this is simply part of the reels designed characteristics. It's also likely one of the reasons these 704's can take a dunking and other general abuse. By having things not machined to such tight tolerances there is some give and take to be had when crud does work it's way in there. I've applied liberal synthetic grease at the the handle shaft and the axle cut in the spool base then packed the body completely. No, not waterproof by any stretch but it will certainly take a serious set of dunkings before any real concern on my part.

Grateful to all who lent their opinions!

After reading your post I went back and out of curiosity checked all my spinfishers, a few 704’s, a couple 710’s and a 706. All of them have that play to a certain degree. All of them are lubed and all internals are tight.

I never noticed it and I honestly don’t think it matters in use.