Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Amelia Island- early May

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Brian ,Fort Clinch State park has a reel nice pier and beach to fish off of...guess I can link you to state parks here..some very nice camping spot also.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/fortclinch/

I am not sure what will be running up there in May (I have not fished that park in years) , but they catch flounder , kingfish , sheepshead ,reds , speckled trout ,pompano etc. from land up there.

what are you after , a guide , a diy or what ?

Hey Brian, I can't help you with the waters right in Amelia, but I spent the better part of 25 years poking around Jacksonville on vacations (in laws lived there). BridgeTender nailed it, lots of species but getting to them can be a problem. I didn't start consistently getting fish until I started bringing a kayak and headed back into the marsh.There's a big group of kayakers down there, google is your friend. A boat of some type is really a necessity. The surf is hit or miss, quite a bit different than what you're used to. The inlet at Mayport (south of Amelia) can be a haven for monster reds, but I always preferred the flats in the creeks off the St. Johns for reds, trout and flounder. Kayak Amelia is a few miles south of the Nassau River on Heckscher Drive, great place to start and right in the heart of the marsh. Here's the type of terrain you're dealing with down there, this is the north side of the St. Johns near the ICW:

One of my favorite places to take the kids was an area they call the Dead Tree Beach, south side of the Nassau River Bridge, about a half mile down from the bridge. Park entrance is a small cut into the trees. Just a cool place. I love north Florida, most folks just drive through on their way south.