Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gobigblue

schiano to the bucs

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Bad move for him, in TB you are expected to win. At RU the schedule was set up that you almost couldn't fail. They played a bunch of patsies and maybe 1-2 real games a year, they won 6 games a year just by showing up. Then again, the Big East is about finished as far as competitive football is.

So, he goes from making 1 million a year, with a house, car service, caretakers, helicopter and a 8 hour a day, 4 month a year working job, to 11 months a year with 8 of them having 15 hour days and somebody looking for your job if you don't excel. I don't know what he signed for, but it can't be as good as the deal he's giving up.

As for RU, who's next, Ritchie Kotite is available.:shock:

The reason the schedule was set up so he couldn't fail is that he helped pick the schedule. NCAA doesn't make the schedule, the coaches do.

There are going to be a lot of happy people at Rutgers. He was beginning to wear out his welcome. Watch for Pernetti to leave too. A new president coming in June could signal a house cleaning.

As for RU, who's next, Ritchie Kotite is available.:shock:

Aaaaaauuuuugggghhh (sound of footsteps running away)

The worst part for Rutgers is next week is the National Signing week. They had some great prospects lined up including 3 offensive linemen that were highly rated. Who knows who'll sign now. That's a big Eff U to the school that was VERY good to him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arby View Post

The worst part for Rutgers is next week is the National Signing week. They had some great prospects lined up including 3 offensive linemen that were highly rated. Who knows who'll sign now. That's a big Eff U to the school that was VERY good to him.

For years I assumed that Schiano would coach at Penn St when JoePa stepped down, and that he was biding his time at Rutgers for the last few years.I guess that his ties to the old PSU regime kinda made that impossible.

Schiano had some good offers from other schools, but he stuck with Rutgers for 11 years.When he took over, the football team was a laughing stock and everyone's favorite homecoming opponent.Schiano totally turned things around and made Rutgers into a respected team that had a chance to win every game it played. Schiano took them to several bowl games.He did a great job at RU and is leaving with his head high.

He did a hellofa lot for the school, and I kinda wonder if the RU folks that are criticizing him have forgotten what a pitiful joke RU football was when he took over.

Keeping his plans to leave a secret and letting the kids the he recruited for next season find out he was not going to coach at RU next season AFTER they signed to play at Rutgers would be a terrible injustice to them.It would also be a major breach of integrity by Schiano.He isn't that kind of guy.

If RU moves fast and names a new coach right away,the kids that Schianp recruited may still sign. Rutgers has an opportunity to meet the challenge.

I hope Schiano does well in TB.He has a lot of wood chopping ahead of him down there.

How much was his salary at RU and what did he get from the bucs? Thats the only thing i can think of as to why he would go. I think he had a perfect spot at RU, even if they didnt do well I dont think he was under much pressure, the program was a doormat before him, not like some of the more storied programs where you are expected to win immediately. He did do a good job at RU, but, he wasnt anything special. He took a doormat to a middle of the pack team in an easy conference, which I dont think he ever won in his time there (correct me if im wrong on that). It doesnt mean he will not be successful in the NFL, but coaches going between NCAA and NFL often dont translate very well .... Spurrier anyone ??

How much was his salary at RU and what did he get from the bucs? Thats the only thing i can think of as to why he would go. I think he had a perfect spot at RU, even if they didnt do well I dont think he was under much pressure, the program was a doormat before him, not like some of the more storied programs where you are expected to win immediately. He did do a good job at RU, but, he wasnt anything special. He took a doormat to a middle of the pack team in an easy conference, which I dont think he ever won in his time there (correct me if im wrong on that). It doesnt mean he will not be successful in the NFL, but coaches going between NCAA and NFL often dont translate very well .... Spurrier anyone ??

he was making over 2 million at RU and had a contract until 2016. all i saw with the TB deal was he got a 5 year contract.

he was making over 2 million at RU and had a contract until 2016. all i saw with the TB deal was he got a 5 year contract.

At 2 mil a year at RU, he should have stayed until they turned the lights out.

I graduated from Rutgiz in '02. I guess it was around '05 or '06 their schedule got soft. My last year they were playing teams like BC, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Vatech, TN, Pitt...mostly blow out losses. The Daily Targum used to interview players who would say they were "content" with their competitiveness as they played for an "ivy league" type school and could blow out the less talented but smarter Princetons and Villanovas. :freak: Look at their schedule in 2011 and compare it to ten years ago. Its a joke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaldsk View Post

Some college guys do ok in the pros.Jim Harbaugh is doing pretty well in his first year as a college coach going to the NFL. Pete Caroll has recently made the move from NCAA to NFL with good success.

Ballcoach never had a chance in DC.He was there when Dan Snyder was at his all time idiot worst with Vinnie Cerrato helping him ruin the team.Spurrier was smart to get the heck away from the Redskins, but not so smart to take the job in the first place.. 

Schiano is probably getting at least double his RU money from the Bucs, but the competitive challenge of a bigger job on a bigger stage was probably more of a factor than money.If you look at the big picture of big time football coaching, it is really a stretch to see RU as the "perfect spot".

he already turned down offers from miami and michigan and maybe penn state and others, so the move to the nfl seems pretty obvious now

I dont think he ever got the offer from Penn state did he? The rumors I heard were he turned down Miami, which at the time was smart, that program was spiraling down and out of control, he would have been jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. The michigan job im not sure it was confirmed he was ever offered that job, but he may have been. The rumors i heard were that he did take himself out of the running bc he was holding out for the penn state job which is now in someone elses hands. Either way, I am sure he will make more money in the nfl - but his tenure may be cut short, He was making a lot of money at RU and I think was more secure than he will ever be anywhere else.

Some college guys do ok in the pros.Jim Harbaugh is doing pretty well in his first year as a college coach going to the NFL. Pete Caroll has recently made the move from NCAA to NFL with good success.

Ballcoach never had a chance in DC.He was there when Dan Snyder was at his all time idiot worst with Vinnie Cerrato helping him ruin the team.Spurrier was smart to get the heck away from the Redskins, but not so smart to take the job in the first place.. 

Schiano is probably getting at least double his RU money from the Bucs, but the competitive challenge of a bigger job on a bigger stage was probably more of a factor than money.If you look at the big picture of big time football coaching, it is really a stretch to see RU as the "perfect spot".

sure, very true with Harbaugh, still his first year though, but he did very well, i hope he has continued success. Pete Caroll though I wouldnt say has had good success, he has had a losing record both of his first 2 years as the seattle HC, though they made the playoffs last year and knocked out the saints, they got in with a losing record. Dont forget he is not new to the NFL, he was the HC of the jets for a year, with a losing record and was the Pats HC where he started off well and went down hill.

but regardless there are plenty of people who do well going from one to the other and plenty that fail, just like anything else, I just think this is an interesting move, again bc I dont see him as much more than an average coach in NCAA, but good for him on the opportunity and may he prove me wrong have much success.