Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel em in

Dredge Being Set Up in Brant Beach

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Will take awhile once the dredging is finished for the cuts, bars, holes etc to form. Took a decent amount of time in Harvey Cedars and not quite as long in Surf City. A good storm or two will help for sure.

There goes my 38th street jetty for awhile.

I'll tell you this though. It didn't take long at all after last years beach replenishment for some seriously good fluke fishing. They were holding right along the drop off from the beach into the deeper water. Could happen again.

The problem with the beach blow jobs is the replication of the ecxact size of grains being used. The fills have been dredged and the grains are huge so the beach does not revert to the prior structure. We get these mutant beaches with the berm taking years to sift the grain sizeout while creating unsafe beaches. . For Monmouth its was and is a total waste of 200 mil bucks.

As a surfer I enjoy the during stage of the fills because of the extreme profiles and angles it creates. After the fact I hate it because it is a flat, featureless  bottom that results in basically beach break dumping a few yards from the sand.

Funny you mention the grain size curl, as apparently they test their borrow sites for grain size and that is the main determining factor in its selection. I have never seen them pump up sand that looks anything like what we originally have on the beach prior, it is always very granular and coarse. If they actually took the time to test the borrow sites like they say they do I think the results would be much different and incidents like what occurred in my town of Surf City with the ordnance being pumped onto the beach would not occur.

First beach replenishment in Surf City, ordnance was pumped on the beach because they did not have the proper screen size on the pump to filter out the debris thus the ordnance got through. In fact sand for Brant Beach is coming from that general area.

I actually have an entire research proposal that I worked on and planned out for my environmental chemistry class that I was taking about 2 years after the whole incident in Surf City. I never was able to get much traction or find the right group or grant to fund it but it is still something I think worth looking at.

The main thing they are looking for when picking a borrow site is whether or not it has the proper percentage of sand as the primary sediment vs. silt or other types. This has most to do with the fact that sand is clean for the most part as it is not porous and does not bond with contaminants like silt can. I find this test lacking for the requirements and uses of beach replenishment, not to mention its pretty obvious they either do these tests incorrectly or they are not very telling of the sediment at the borrow site.

I could go on for days about replenishment and all the issues it brings from the standpoint of a fisherman, surfer, environmentalist, lifeguard, and homeowner on the island. Sorry if I'm ranting too much.

I actually have an entire research proposal that I worked on and planned out for my environmental chemistry class that I was taking about 2 years after the whole incident in Surf City. I never was able to get much traction or find the right group or grant to fund it but it is still something I think worth looking at.

The main thing they are looking for when picking a borrow site is whether or not it has the proper percentage of sand as the primary sediment vs. silt or other types. This has most to do with the fact that sand is clean for the most part as it is not porous and does not bond with contaminants like silt can. I find this test lacking for the requirements and uses of beach replenishment, not to mention its pretty obvious they either do these tests incorrectly or they are not very telling of the sediment at the borrow site.

I could go on for days about replenishment and all the issues it brings from the standpoint of a fisherman, surfer, environmentalist, lifeguard, and homeowner on the island. Sorry if I'm ranting too much.

Keep talking, it's interesting.

Hey, guys.  First post, but I have fished LBI since I was a little kid (42 now), and I had a lot of negative opinions when this all started with Surf City (and then the unexploded ordnances) but it hasn't really made fishing worse.  Soft structure comes back quickly, so, yeah, it's alot of money for a temp fix.  But the banner fall at Harvey Cedars had a lot to do with how far you could get out on the bar to that quick drop off.  Plus, you barely used to be able to walk North Beach and HC at high tide, now you can drive (though I walk on and actually preferred when it was hard to get up there wink.gif)