Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slick706

Suggestions for a 2nd job (PT)

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a 2nd job now for a while and have come up empty. Its pretty hard to find a PT job around your full time 8-5 job. I have been looking local in my town in NJ however maybe I am missing something. I just need suggestions. Example: working PT in a deli or pork store. I make good money now but just not enough to support a home and family and need to get off my butt and work weekends and maybe nights. Suggestions?

Maybe you can wait tables on a weekend?

That's a good idea. A friend's son went from the kitchen to waiting tables and is making way more money than he was cooking.

No idea what your skill set is so tough to offer advice, you might check with temp agency and let em know your looking for PT work.

If you have construction or handyman skills, you might pick up odd jobs and cut the temp agency out of the equation.

I have a vast skill set. I have worked construction before. I had a painting business for 11 yrs and I am very good at it. Sheetrock, taping, painting. I can lay tile. I worked in a pork store before as well. Being a waiter seems to be a good move. I went to several restaurants on rte 18 near me and went in and applied but that went nowhere.

I am in telecommunications and work at Vonage now for 6 yrs. I make a decent living 70k a year but with 2 young kids and a home to support its becoming unbarable to play catch up all the time on bills and not be able to do the regular things a family should. I want to take my kids on vacations and cant afford any of this now, its sucks.

I am sure if I made this type of money in another state I would be fine.

Good suggestions so far guys, thanks! keep em coming. Oh and no gay bar!!!! :eek:

How about the wife working? Become a bar tender a few nights a week...

My wife works PT 3 days a week at a well known fencing company that her friend owns. We cant afford baby sitters or daycare so she mainly watches my 3yr old while the other one is in school. 2 more yrs she will be in school then she can work FT. The $ she brings in is not bad but that pays for the car payments and insurance.

I can tend bar that would be a good idea too. I have done that before as well when I lived in Brooklyn many moons ago.

I got a part time job last year for similar reasons. One suggestion I will give you is find a job where you will be doing something that you are interested in. I worked three different jobs sales, restaurant work, and customer service before I found a job I liked and was within my interests. I'm now working as a zamboni driver for a local hockey club, loving every minute of it, and bringing in an extra $800 a month.

Ya know what. If my wife and I stopped smoking cigarattes we would be saving $400 a month. How stupid is that? quitting is an option too :o theres my PT job :D

You would save $480, because I figure you both smoke a pack a day... ;)

$480 or $5840