Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bomberman

Vs 200

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi Bomber, thats a very open question. I would ask myself where I fish and what are my needs and wants. There are alot of nice rods that would match with a VS200. St. Croix, Lamiglas and Century all make sweet rods . I think the other question that also must be asked is how much are willing to spend? I had a VS200 on a St. Croix Legend 10' and that was nice but now I moved it to a Century 11' and both set ups will cast plugs/metal in same weight range.

Ice

Depends on where you fish, jettys, open beach, 1 piece, etc..

I don't go on jettys and my favorite rod (with that reel) is Lamiglas Super Surf SS101MS. Throws Red Fins to almost 4 oz pencils. Can work pencils with it, can drill metal into strong winds. Nices distance with it too. I like it a little more than the Legend 3/4 - 4 oz rod.

I have my ZX25 paired with the 10'6" St. Croix Mojo 3/4-4oz. The VS 200 is a lighter reel than my Z and sgould make a nice fit. IMO the best way to find out what rod you will like the best would be to take your reel with you and check it out on different rods and make your decision from there

Last year I was in Ibsp at the beach was so frustrated I see a lot of people catch fish with every cast and for me they didn't take any effort of all but for me my arms are falling off maybe spend 250 what can I get

Last year I was in Ibsp at the beach was so frustrated I see a lot of people catch fish with every cast and for me they didn't take any effort of all but for me my arms are falling off maybe spend 250 what can I get

I really don't understand this???? But I'm will to help ya. Maybe you can reword this.

I really don't understand this???? But I'm will to help ya. Maybe you can reword this.

bomberman is a 1st generation immigrant ( i am assuming from the articulation, no meant offense if not). What he means is that on IBSP the fish were at distance and he could not reach while others could. He cast his arms off and could not hook up. He is looking for a rod to maximize casting distance that will match up with a VS200.

look in the BST for a used St. Croix Legend 3/4-4ounce rod. amazing rod. DONT get the MOJO 3/4-4ounce, get a used legend 3/4-4ounce it is a much better rod. imo

I'm curious as to why NOT the mojo?

I'm curious as to why NOT the mojo?

not the Mojo because i have used both and the Legend is a far superior product. The casting distance is near equal, but the legend loads easier and recovers quicker. The legend also recovers from a cast faster. The other main benefit is that you can feel your lure much better with the legend.

If you have 250 to spend and can get a used legend or a new mojo, the new legend is the way to go.

Many times casting distance is linked to rod length. Longer rod = more distance vs a shorter rod. There are trade-offs; longer rod can be heavier and eventually that takes a toll on the fisherman. Good casting technique might even the playing field where a shorter/lighter rod gets you out to the fish. I picked up a used 9'6" Century and discovered that drop, line length from rod tip to lure, made a big difference in casting distance and effort to get that distance. Long drop + smooth cast - not snap cast, got me out there and I wasn't beat up at the end of the day. Still there were guys hooking up when I didn't, this fall at IBSP sometimes a few feet further made all the difference so now I have a 10'6" Century. :D

Hello everybody thanks for all the suggestion when comes to cast an extra yard you have to fork out the Doug I've seen the century rod at the one of the fishing show and they look sweet. I was wondering no one mention Gloomis Imx 10' use are comparable use st croix legend.

Sincerly yours

Me no speak English 

That Loomis IMX is some serious $. I believe they are over $500. They are nice and I'd love to own one. Sometimes it boils down to one's personal limit of what they are willing to spend on a rod or a reel and that's above mine. You stated that you bought your first quality reel (VS200) in your original post. I'm not sure how serious you are in this sport but there are a lot of rods that will throw amazing distances with the right reel, line and technique for under $200. If you want great distance and a high quality rod, you just don't have to go that high.