Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerryvov

modifying lures

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I'm writing an article for On theWater magazine about guys who modify their lures upon purchase. Any nifty ideas about things to do? Like drilling out a Rebel & dropping in some BBs to get the rattle? Or, bending the line eye to change the action.

E-mail me or post any ideas...thanks very much.

------------------

Jerry from East Bridgewater

I have drilled small holes in a clear bomber, then stick a small glow stick in side. The glow sticks are used for putting on your Rod Tip, to see at nite. I also use BB's, in some lures!

Hope this helps yasmile.gif

I'd be a bit careful about telling the manufacturers that their lures aren't good enough out of the box, when they might be advertisers. Then again, the big lure makers ie. Pradco are selling to broad mkt. that might not have the same demands that NE salt guys do. For instance, the chicken scratch bomber is a special run for the NE. While we're on the subject of bombers, the 1st thing most people do with the 3 hook model is take off the middle hook.

One modification worth mentioning is adding hackle feathers to the tail of swimmimg plugs- makes for an eely looking bait.

I had some comments about this post, before it was put up on this board, in a different thread. It appears that this post is getting put up on a lot of boards.

I have very strong feelings about the ethics of soliciting input for a magazine article a week before a deadline, if that article is going to be presented to the editor as a piece of original writing. That's just my view, but it's one I hold very strongly.

If, on the other had, it's going to be presented to the editor as a compendium of tips you've assembled from outside input, that puts it in a different light.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 02-07-2001).]

I'm not quite sure how popular spoons, slabs, and what y'all refer to as "tins" are in all the areas up there but down here they are very effective (and popular) on reds, specs, flounder, macs and just about any and all game fish.

Last year I started replacing the treble hook with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook, depending on the size of the lure. My only concern was that it would effect the action and or the appeal to the fish. I have found that this is not the case.

The benifits of doing this are: 1.It cuts way back on the number of lost fish, particularly at the net or when you are about to make the grab. 2. Treble hooks can be a pain to remove from a fish's mouth. One twist of the wrist and that circle hook is out of there. I have never, NEVER had to use pliers to remove a circle hook from a fishes mouth. 3. If you decide to release your fish, you can do so with a minimum of damage to his mouth ( only one hook point and it will always be in the corner or top lip ) and his skin ( by reducing the amount of handling ) and the time he is out of the water.

I strongly recommend doing this for your own convience and for the fish too....W.J.

Walkin' Jack, we do use slab spoons, Kastmasters and Hopkins jigs. Your success in fishing them with circle hooks is interesting. I have some eels rigged with circle hooks for the spring - you come up for a Fling or something, we'll have to fish together. .... hafta try that one myself.

Years ago Salt Water Sportsman had an article by a gent who was trolling big Rapala Magnums for tarpon after removing the trebles and mounting one big circle hook on a bridle, as you'd do for a live bait, above the head of the plug. I do wish I'd kept that article, may try that witha a plug or two in the surf myself this coming season.

I take a file to the lip on the rapala magnums, shad raps, and jensens so they swim shallow, more like a mambo minnow. No need to credit me in the article for this stunning idea, helping other fishermen is payment enough alone. And I don't want lure companies calling me day and night hoping I'll take their sponsorshipbiggrin.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

I also rub my bucktails in doughnut glaze.

Hi Jerryvov,

Read the posts... There are a few concerns here. Also, I was thinking about writing an article about a topic that I don't know much about... Maybe you could help me out. wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

P.s. Most of my lures ARE modified... wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 02-07-2001).]

Somethings not right with his request. Is it me, or is one of the most secretly guarded secrets amonst us all is lure modifications? Those little tweaks we tinker with to improve (and sometimes fustratingly not) the action of a lure, something we feel we have an edge over the many standing next to us on the beach.

just my .02

Bern

I have a great idea for lure modification that I'd like to try, but it will likely require BATF approval.

I'm going to borrow a concept from the military's new Objective Indiviudal Compact Weapon (OICW, mf'd by Alliant Techsystems). The OICW has a "smart" 20 mm grenade launcher. The high explosive rounds are guided and timed by an erbium glass laser on the infantry weapon.

I propose hollowing out a big 3 oz. Polaris Popper and filling it with some standard high explosive (or plasma) and putting a "smart" chip in it. The chip will have a proximity sonar or magnetic anomaly detector that, upon casting, will detonate upon detection of 1) large 50 lb.+ bass, 2) commercial trawlers, or 3) members of senior management. Whew, talk about hydrostatic shock! That'll put the "POLARIS" back into the popper allright.

Nifty idea, huh? If you mention this, I expect to get SOME credit. But you should also cite the June 1999 issue of Small Arms Review (Vol. 2, No.9), which featured the OICW.

-fishweewee, feeling creative

**Greetings fishweewee, I edited out that pot shot, please do not take shots like that here, they have no use but to start trouble. I appreciated the humor, but please don't start trouble like that. If you have an issue, address it straight up, it's more likely to get resolved that way wink.gif

TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 02-07-2001).]