Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluebird

7' 5 wt?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Anyone know where and who? Love throwing the 5 wt from the yak in the sweetwater. Unfortunately, someones door got mine..not saying who ;), Not looking to spend too much either.

Thanks, John

Cabela's has one in their 50th Anniversary glass line, real nice casting rod. My choice would be to find a used Fenwick FF70 or FF705 from the auction site. Beautiful medium action rods and delightful to cast, especially with a DT line, completely different feel than the plastic (sorry, graphite) rods though. The glass guys are snapping them up quick.

You might check out the new LL Bean "pocket water" rods as well- octagonal like bamboo, but graphite. No 7' 5wt, but 6 ' 10" 4 wt and a 7' 6" 5wt.

If you can find an old Orvis Superfine ( tape wrapped blank) of iether the far & fine ( 7' 9" 5wt ) or the Brook Trrout ( 7' 4 wt), you will be very happy with either of those- beautiful, smooth action. I have an original Far & Fine that belonged to my grandmother- 1st production run- butt is stamped 0174. I have have to replace the butt section twice because the blank wore at the ferrule. Still my smaller stream go-to. For the really little stuff, I have a two piece Wes Jordan Flea- 6' bamboo that I run a 4 wt DT on- makes a 6" brookie feel huge.

You might check out the new LL Bean "pocket water" rods as well- octagonal like bamboo, but graphite. No 7' 5wt, but 6 ' 10" 4 wt and a 7' 6" 5wt.

If you can find an old Orvis Superfine ( tape wrapped blank) of iether the far & fine ( 7' 9" 5wt ) or the Brook Trrout ( 7' 4 wt), you will be very happy with either of those- beautiful, smooth action. I have an original Far & Fine that belonged to my grandmother- 1st production run- butt is stamped 0174. I have have to replace the butt section twice because the blank wore at the ferrule. Still my smaller stream go-to. For the really little stuff, I have a two piece Wes Jordan Flea- 6' bamboo that I run a 4 wt DT on- makes a 6" brookie feel huge.

the orvis far & fine was and still is a sweet rod. i have my fathers 7'9" 5wt and is by far my favorite casting rod for streams. the action is something that i would love to be able to find in 9' or 10' rod more geared for larger streams (streamer and nymph fishing).