Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twohand

Yamaha speedo

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a Wellcraft 270 Coastal equipped with twin HPDI 200's. Purchased boat this past Sept. Originally the speedo worked but has since stopped. I read that it is operated by a pickup in the lower unit and it may be clogged. I found the tube in the upper portion and blew compressed air in it and the speedo read.I have snaked every hole I could find in the lower end but still no speedo. Where the heck is the pickup, any other ideas?

Thanx

Greg

in the ox66s I've had, small pilot hole in the leading edge of the lower unit, when the lu is dropped typically see a barb fitting connecting the lu tubing to the tubing heading up the mid section.

However.... I would guess you have a gps on a boat that size.

If yes, why not just go with gps speed?

Do you have a fuel mgm gauge, if not, ditch the speedo and replace it with a yam fuel mgm gauge.

They're awesome at dialing in cruise rpms.

I was amazed how just a 200-300 rpm change in some ranges had little effect on speed, but changed mpg 10-15%.

I have the Yamaha fuel management sys. that is why I want to get it working. I still can read GPH but would like to know MPH. Also the speedo is real time while the GPS not always so.I'm probably nit picking but I am anal about these things, if it is there I want it to work.

The tube connects to a small nipple that you can't see unless you drop the lower unit. However, there should be a tiny hole in front of the skeg where the water enters. Probably where it's clogged. If you have a small pick and compressed air, or just a very small drill bit (twist by hand, only), you should be able to get it working....for about 1 or 2 trips until it clogs again.

These speedos just don't want to stay unclogged. My boat yard cleans the port out every yr and it works for about a month. As soon as the water warms up its out of business. Sorry to give you the news. JP