Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrGreen740

First Tries

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

These are my first attempts at a Clouser pattern. I'm struggling with the whip finish technique without the tool, but I think i'm making it harder than it should be. Any advice is sincerely appreciated!

Tony

post-61579-1423078102961_thumb.jpg

post-61579-14230781031393_thumb.jpg

Tony, for whatever reason I'm not able to see your pictures. Try resizing them & posting again. They may be too large.

I tried reposting the pics. I'm on a Mac and I apologize but i'm not very good at using it. I would appreciate any tips on posting pics from a Mac. I see other peoples posts with pics and mine have the file code.

post-61579-14230781078825_thumb.jpg

post-61579-14230781081426_thumb.jpg

I'm sure they'll catch, did you add any flash? Try this............save your pic to your desktop in a folder (mine is called Pictures) they have a max of 800x600..... then when you post here you'll click on the little picture icon to the left of the paper clip then browse your desktop folder with the pictures and click on the picture and next click open....done.

I'm going to stop and get some flash in the morning. Thanks for the tip as well! I'm following your directions as far as the little picture icon and this happens.IMAG0007.jpgI

Mr Green. First save one or two of these to have something to compare to. Cut the materials off the hook of the other two. Go to You Tube and type Clouser. You will get maybe 100+ videos on how to tie a clouser. No two will be exactly alike. That's a good thing. Watch a few - Look at BuzFly's vid. He is a master tyer that hangs out here. Watch where he puts the dumbbell eye in relation to the hook shank. Watch how he places and wraps the wing. There are no wraps to the rear of the eyes as in yours. He does 4 colors but two are standard. Watch a couple of the other videos. Then go back to the vise and do another. Before you know it you will have improved your fly by a huge amount and be more satisfied (and confident) with it.

tight wraps

PS - one of the living legend tyers (A.K. Best) has written that you need to tie 100 dozen of a particular pattern before you have perfected it.

There are no wraps to the rear of the eyes as in yours.

:th:

The above advice only applies to the wing, not the belly, just FYI. That's pretty much the only thing keeping your flies from being clousers.