Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sand blister

We are adopting a dog today.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

A two year old coonhound mix. A lovely dog. She is always happy. We are taking her from our close friends that cannot take care of her anymore. Any points from anyone who has adopted before? Anything we should do before we take her today? Any pointers are appreciated ;)

I think the biggest decision is whether you are going to tell him or not.

You could take your chances and decide not to open that can of worms, but then if he ever finds out or his real parents reach out to him, he could resent you for lying to him.

I think it's best to pick an age where you both agree to sit him down and tell him.

But, that's just me.

I don't know billybob. Dogs are kinda, how do you say, stupid, and likely don't care.

This dog chases a frisbee for crying out loud. Over and over and over.

to form a bond is your mission,this can take several weeks,bring her with you everywhere.hounds are different & are sometimes considered dumb but thats not the case.they are verry intelligent but a hound was bred to be tenacious,determined & are out to trail game through the nastiest places & that is their nature,work with it.they have a 1 track mind & thats to trail not to please a master like some breeds.what kind of hound is she?ive raised & trained coon hounds for over 40 years,bluetics are my favorites,i have a mountain curr thats a dandy & a big bluetic bitch that is outstanding in performance & looks.the red bones i trained were a little gamey for around the house & the walkers were runners big time.i spent many mornongs rounding up the hounds after a nite of huntin so they didnt stick around long.when im ready to go home them dogs better be ready too cause i aint chasin them around no more.

the coon is a mix with another dog. The owners don't exactly know. We spend alot of time in that house and I have grown to really like the dog. She is smart and listens. Loves to exercise. I have seen some silly(dumb) dogs and I would not put her in that category. I will post a pic today after we get her.

You could take your chances and decide not to open that can of worms, but then if he ever finds out or his real parents reach out to him, he could resent you for lying to him.

I think it's best to pick an age where you both agree to sit him down and tell him.

But, that's just me.

:laugh:

Good for you for adopting a dog. I hope he brings your family many years of happiness

The very first thing to do is have her checked by a Vet. Then enroll in an obedience class, many cities have them. An obedience class doesn't train your dog, they teach you how to train the dog and the instructer can also help you with problems that may occur.

Feed her a good quality dry food, they don't need the canned stuff which is exspensive. Feed her the same food every day. They aren't like people, dogs prefer the same food. Changing their food to give them "variety" can screw up their digestive tract leaving you with diarea to clean up. Good luck with her.

Ya know, you didn't say how old this dog is, but I think she's gonna be a little confused for a couple weeks, ya know where's them other people.

But all the while she'll warm up to you, so be cuddly with her.

By then I think she'll be all set.

One thing to think about is if your friends ever come over and see the dog, that might be weird.

Might want to think about that scenario if ya haven't.

I would make sure the dog is well contained,so it can't attempt to go "home".

To help with bonding,let the dog sleep in your room.

I got an adult Doberman that was too aggressive for the previous owner.

I took that dog on a backpacking trip,when we got home the dog was definitely mine.

I like hounds too,I have owned a couple of hound crosses that were a great dogs.

You are going to have a loyal friend.

Noooooooooooooooo. You want to adopt two chocolate labs. Four years old and done chewing cause I got nothing left. I'll pay for shipping, handling, training, vet bills and alcohol. Please.............................

Ya know, you didn't say how old this dog is, but I think she's gonna be a little confused for a couple weeks, ya know where's them other people.

But all the while she'll warm up to you, so be cuddly with her.

By then I think she'll be all set.

One thing to think about is if your friends ever come over and see the dog, that might be weird.

Might want to think about that scenario if ya haven't.

Adopted two golden retrievers from friends.The first one was 9 when we got him and he passed at 15 . Best dog I ever had. The other we got from a friend at 5 months. The first one was 12 at the time and in two days he was acting like he was a pup. Ran with the little guy all day and taught him to be just like him. The little guys owners came by many times and it was all good.