Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maxiger1

Any experience with 8ft 8 weight?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the TFO model mini magnum I recently read about in Fly Fishing Saltwaters. I believe this may be a good choice for saltwater creeks

I fish on the north shore of long island. As a smaller guy (5' 5") I'm also thinking this may help

With my accuracy on the flats up here providing me with an overall shorter rod

Any experience would help cause I hope to find one to cast at Somerset

Thanks

Mini Mags are very heavy because they are built to withstand heavy use in canoe or boat and I think they are more fish fighting rods than casting rods.

Way much better casting rod is TFO TiCrX 7'6'' 8wt. Its "swing weight" is low and although it is short it is possible to produce very fast line speed especially when hauling is used. Also shortness makes it very efficient salt water rod because it is often windy.

I wonder it the Redington Predator which is 7.10' in length and offered at Sierra Trading Post for under 100 bucks is in the same class. I envision these rods as being more suited for pulling bucket mouths out of the lily pads as opposed to precision casting on the flats. In any case; report back on your findings.

I cant speak for the TFO but I picked up a Redington Predator 8wt just before Christmas.Havent fished it yet but I have cast it a few times and it handles very nicely.It cast 8wt lines the best and its very accurate.Its not a distance caster but I got it for working the jetty here.It should work very good for that.If you have the chance I would cast several rods in that catagory.I have been fishing a 6wt Redington Predator for a year now and its a fun rod to fish.

I had an 8'8" loomis glx years ago (i'm pretty sure it was 8'8", maybe it was 8'6"). I thought that rod was a cannon. The slightly shorter rod really allowed to lay into a cast. i never saw any drop-off in distance and actually maybe a little more than some 9'ers that I had at the time.

A few experience, with peacock bass.

Scott A3 #8 8' and Warmwater #8 8' - I would say they are medium-fast, like both, pin point acurracy. Warmwater more lifting ... A3 more presentation

Sage RPLxi #8 8'6" and Scott HP #8 8'8" - top notch. Precision and lifting power. RPLxi just 2nd hand and HP just via custom order...

You have Scott S4S and Predator , both fast action, never test, but people says S4S is more forgiveness casting...