Atlantic City Beach Erosion

Rate this topic

feetinsand

OUR tax dollars at work :(

Atlantic City is blocking access to a half-mile stretch of beachfront after erosion created cliffs as high as 18 feet.

It will be at least four months until the beaches will be open to the public again.

“It's dangerous. If you walk out there at night, you could walk right off the cliff,” Tom Foley, the city's emergency management coordinator, told the Press of Atlantic City.

Officials have set up barricades between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island Avenues until a three-month beach replenishment project set to begin in mid-February is completed.

The Army Corps of Engineers pumped 280,000 cubic yards of sand after Tropical Storm Irene five months ago at a cost of $10.3 million, reports the Press of Atlantic City.

The upcoming fix-up job will pump 1 million cubic yards of sand onto the shoreline throughout the affected area, and another 325,000 in Ventnor.

All that sand will cost $14.1 million, reports the Press of Atlantic City. If more sand is needed, the cost could bump up to $16.8 million.

hey!  thats the revel in the background!  it was my home for 5 months or so.. 

sorry but those drop offs dont look close to 18'.  they had just replenished all that sand in the same area over the summer last yr. 

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraves4410 View Post

definitely looks cool, but i can only imagine the lawsuit from a drunk falling off one of those. do they really need 10m to fix that though, cant they just plow it all even or something?

That would work, but all the sand that has gone offshore to form those cliffs is not coming back anytime soon with that much erosion. Sadly the best solution they've come up with (albeit a terrible one) is to pump sand onto the beach, something that once started can never end to maintain the former shape of the beach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reel em in View Post

I wonder if this is going to happen on LBI, when they do beach replenishment between 31st and 57th street Brant Beach, NJ. Suppose to start this February.

It kind of happened in LBI but only to an extent. I don't think I really have any pictures to show it. If you head to Cedars though you can see how ineffective the beach replenishment is as a long term solution. They are back to eating away at the dunes although they are about 30+ yards further from the prior placement.

Southern end of Harvey Cedars around Cape May Avenue you had this situation. Neck was tight to drive at high tide sometimes impassable depending on surf. Cliffs 15'to 20 'with caution tape at walk overs. Sometimes wood barricades. All that sand washed away ended up in Loveladies and North Beach. Two Years ago you just about could drive the beach at high tide depending on the surf. All the wood jetties this year were completely covered.

Cedars has next to no beaches again already. Irene really did a number there. Interesting that no matter what they do and how they change the profile and size of the beaches they always get bad in the same places. Right around the water tower in Cedars has always been a problem. Surf City always sees issues on the northern end as well as right were the handicap access is on 12th street. Not sure what makes them more exposed to wave action and erosion but they always take a hit.