Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Pizza (?) What say you New Yawkas?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Chicago Pizza.

I grew up in Tennessee.  Our "Big City" was Chicago, not New York.  So I make these every now and again.

Who likes em, who has tried them?  Its a thing of beauty when one ten inch pizza serves 5 or 6 people.

Dough is closer to bread than pizza.  One ten inch pizza gets one pound of whole mozz, a half pound of fresh, a pound of Italian sausage a mess of pepperoni (some of the "real" pies in ORD get a layer of pepperoni so thick you cant cut through it, thats too heavy duty for me)big can of tomato and a small can of sauce.

I think all you paisan  should try it and explore your midwestern culture.

10 inch deep straight wall pie pan.  Here is how rich it is.  When you lay the dough in, you first brush the pan with 2 tablespoons of butter.  All that soaks into the dough.  The only way to describe the finished dough is like a yeast roll with a bit more firmness.

pizza.JPG

Finished product.  It won't slice for about 15 minutes or you get Mount Vesuvius flowing down the plate (nice Italian reference eh?)

Pizza 2.JPG

pizza 3.JPG

While it has its place and can be good....PLEASE do not call that pizza.........a tomato and cheese casserole (or maybe pot pie) with a bread crust, sure. But pizza? No way.

Many years ago I was in Chicago for a week for a trade show and actually went to the original Pizzeria Uno and had one of them things. It was pretty good, but it ain't pizza. Besides, the best part of the whole thing was that the barmaid was smoking hot.....;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Mass View Post

While it has its place and can be good....PLEASE do not call that pizza.........a tomato and cheese casserole (or maybe pot pie) with a bread crust, sure. But pizza? No way.

Many years ago I was in Chicago for a week for a trade show and actually went to the original Pizzeria Uno and had one of them things. It was pretty good, but it ain't pizza. Besides, the best part of the whole thing was that the barmaid was smoking hot.....wink.gif

Hmmm. A dough.........with cheese............and tomato..........and cured meats........hmmmmmmm.  Made by Italian guys,,,,,,hmmmmmm.

OK lets try this. 

Its 1982 and you are in LA for the weekend.  You go to the strip and walk into a new restaurant.  The Owner is from Austria.  You order the pizza of the day.  Out comes a flat round dough with dill cream, red onion, smoked salmon,cream cheese, and a dollop of caviar.  You eat it like Lord Creosote in the Monty Python skit  (bring me a bucket).

Was that a pizza?  Wolfgang Puck says it was.  Who the heck tells Wolfgang Puck what a pizza is?

No, I don't call that a pizza anymore than I call tomato and cheese spread on a bagel, tortilla, pita bread, or other generic "flatbread" pizza (which some people do)........is the result good and tasty? Perhaps, maybe even probably......but it ain't pizza. ;)

Who the heck tells Wolfgang Puck what a pizza is?

What the eff does Wolfgang Puck know about pizza?

Don't bring me some Austrian poufter and his cali restaurants as an example of pizza. Puhleeze.

Chigago Deep DIsh is its own entity, while many here say "Its Not Pizza" it is still delicious and it is unfair to compare styles....like saying apples are better than banannas! Good Deep dish is now hard to come by even in the midwest, because it has been grossly commercialized. My first Ginos East experience in the early 90's was impressive! Yellow Dough with loads of butter and olive oil, more like a pastry than a pizza crust, visible flecks of cornmeal in the dough, the sausage was sliced links that were pre-braised in wine, the sauce was chunky plum tomato, not sauce per se. and the cheese...yum. You couldn't even think to eat this W/O a knife and fork. Ginos was a dark dungeon with grafitti on the walls...the pie was divine. My visit in 2004 to the new kicked up, renovated Ginos East left me unimpressed...it all changed! and now they even mail order pies. Its what happens when you fully commercialize a hand crafted item. What a dissapointment and the sauce gave me heartburn. No More Cornmeal in the dough, and the pie was greasy.

Your Pie looks devine! I am sure that I would devour a slice if I had the chance.

I remember Adam Richman in Man vs Food (a Brooklyn NY native!) eating a pie at Lou Malnati's saying...."This is so good...I feel like I am cheating on NY pizza!"

Its meat, cheese, sauce and crust..whats not to like??

No doubt.

I like pot pies.

I'm sure I'd love littles pizzapotpie. It looks terrific.

What he said.............certainly no issues with the fare......but as I said, I can't call it "pizza"........:)

It must be a tough restaurant to run.  These things are almost an hour from start to serve, mainly cause you have to cool it or it will just explode.

I challenge all my paisan to make a Chicago Deep Dish PIZZA and put it to the test.  Tons of ideas and recipes on the net, lets see those pictures.