Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garriga

VS 150 for a G Loomis 10"6 1-4 oz

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've been away from Surf Casting since the late 90's when I moved to South Florida and did most of my fishing from a boat. Looking to get back to the old simple life and looking for some advise. I have an old G Loomis in perfect condition I used to fish off Montauck with a Penn 750 I had purchased in 1982 and looking to upgrade. My buddy had the same rod and a VS 250 and it was a sweet setup but I was wondering if this would balance right with the 150 and 30 lb braid. Looking to cast metals in the Florida surf which should have some small blues, descent size jacks to 20 lbs and the occasional Tarpon plus lots of snook come summer. The 150 should be enough to handle the majority of what I'd be hooking but not sure if it's too much rod for the reel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Only you can answer that question being that you will be the one fishing it & have to feel comfortable using it. I'm sure people have used this set up but to me I think the 200 size would be better off. But thats just me.

Do you really need a water proof reel?

Yes, I'm looking for a water proof drag and reel I can submerge. Plus I never know when I'll make a trip back to Montauk. If the 200 is a better balance then I'll go ZeeBaas at that point. Was looking for a light setup and don't have the funds to get both the reel and a new rod like the Legend 9 ft. 

I had the same stick awhile back and would opt for the bigger 250 reel like your buddy has. You indicated it was a sweet setup so I guess you liked it. The smaller 150 will be lost on that particular rod IMO especially if you were used to the Penn 750.

200 or 250 balances out a rod of that size better, u can use a 150 but it will feel awkward, i did this with a 1205 lami and it was a pita to small and to slow of a retrieve, went for a 5k sized reel and it balanced out better

As some have mentioned in earlier responses, the 200 or 250 would be a much better match for that size rod. I use a 200 on a 10'6 all the time and it's very well balanced.

During the fall run here in NJ I had the opportunity to use a 150 on a 10' stick and didn't care for it at all.

Agree with Jae above, way too small, rate of retrieve was horrible and actually felt like it was making me work more.