Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

How to get un stuck/ break leader or knot?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I usually fish in rocky areas, so a lot of times I end up getting snagged on the bottom. I go through a lot of line getting hung up and having to cut the line, and that makes me lose a lot of line and it gets expensive. Does anyone have any tips on how to get unsnagged or break the leader or knot at the end of your line if all else fails?

I'm not sure exactly how you're fishing, but if you are using 50 lb test running line you could use a 30 lb test leader. This will mean the leader will break, not the running line. This doesn't happen every time, but definitely most of the time.

Reel faster if you're fishing artificials, If bait, when you decide to bring it in, jerk hard & reel fast, don't drag it along the bottom. The trick is not to get snagged in the first place. Once you're snagged you're screwed! If you don't mind losing whatever you're fishing with, then make a leader of less test/strength than your main line and it'll break before your main line.

With your rod parralell to the water, tighten your drag, take a couple steps back or a couple cranks until your line gets tight and then quickly flip the bail up and you should feel your rig become un stuck flip the bail back down and reel in. A lot of times you'll get everything back plug and all. Don't forget to loosen your drag afterwards

if all else fails,before you break off just give it a good amount of slack and let it sit for a couple of minutes and the tide might unsnag it.it worked for me many of times

i agree with using leader of smaller lb test than your running line, however in most cases that is not feasible....i usually let  the line in free spool and try to walk around to a different angle then reeel in tight to see if i can get it to bulge...other than that sometimes you have to live with losing some rigs and line as its part of the game.....

point the rod directly at the point where the line is snagged. hold down the spool as opposed to locking down the drag and tug back abit. depending on the area, if you have the room walk a ways and see if that will unlodge it. if not hold down the spool and it walk back and it will most likely pop out or snap at a knot point. NEVER EVER try and unlodge it by snapping the rod back as if your sinking the hook into a fish. Many a rod have broke that way

Depending on the line test I either just point the rod in the direction my line is and use my hand and lock the spool and walk backwards or I use my Boga and wrap the line around that a couple times and do the same. I dont like to put too much stress on the reel so with heavier line I use the Boga to take the brunt of the stress. You can use anything, like the cut end of a broom handle for instance

With your rod parralell to the water, tighten your drag, take a couple steps back or a couple cranks until your line gets tight and then quickly flip the bail up and you should feel your rig become un stuck flip the bail back down and reel in. A lot of times you'll get everything back plug and all. Don't forget to loosen your drag afterwards

Worked for me a few times lost a lot less but still have that occasional one can't be helped

Depending on the line test I either just point the rod in the direction my line is and use my hand and lock the spool and walk backwards or I use my Boga and wrap the line around that a couple times and do the same. I dont like to put too much stress on the reel so with heavier line I use the Boga to take the brunt of the stress. You can use anything, like the cut end of a broom handle for instance

This is how it's done... please don't just cut the line.. leaving all that braid drifting around to tangle someone else. As others have said you might need to change your technique ... you should hang up that much.

This is how it's done... please don't just cut the line.. leaving all that braid drifting around to tangle someone else. As others have said you might need to change your technique ... you should hang up that much.

You also may need to change your location! :laugh: No but on a serious note it sounds like your using some sort of weighted jig,bait ETC that hugs the bottom You may want to switch up & try using other methods maybe something that rides a little higher up in the water column

$.02 for a discussion of ideas, all of which none of us would disagree!  Do we all get stuck more frequently than we catch fish?  headscratch.gif

The only thing that want to add is my belief that when one needs to pull, in order to break the line, try this with a smooth sustained pull and, if needing to apply more pressure, increase this smoothly and slowly.  It's an inertia thing.

In fishing, I've pulled-in plastic bags filled with sand and sizable hunks of driftwood and other debris.

For a science fair project:  tie thread to each side of something with weight (mass) that can be moved with the thread; hold one end fast and pull on the other.  A quick jerk will gain just thread; a smooth sustained pressure will usually break the other thread, between the object and the end that was fixed--the object comes along with the thread that was used to apply the pulling.

Try this on weeds and you'll actually pull the root too.

This is also why orthodontists can move teeth with rubber bands.   biggrin.gif

There’s a method I learned many years ago to un-snag, it works on many types of snags like getting a buc wedged between the rocks but not all snags are created equal & it doesn’t work every time, I know it may sound a little odd but i will attempt to explain it in words..........................

When the initial snag happens, I try the usual small, light jerks, if it remains snagged, I avoid pulling in all directions & under force, ill reserve that for the last ditch efforts as I find it’ll only make the snag worse (sometimes) depending on the type of snag.

keep the rod in front of you at about a 45 deg. Angle, keep tension on the line and pull the line away from you as if you’re going to shoot an arrow over your shoulder, behind you. You should now have tension on the line with your rod slightly bent as a bow would be if it was loaded to shoot.

Next let go of the line under tension, and lower your rod simultaneously then back towards you slightly to check if you’re un-snagged. The idea is to send the energy from the line and the loaded rod backwards enough to reverse the direction of the snag. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes ive needed to repeat the procedure 1/2 dozen times before I become free’d up, but it has worked enough times for me to try whenever I get snagged up & before I commit to pulling under force or breaking off.

BillZ, I haven't before known of your method, but it is the same principle as that of tradrodz (post #5); however, I can see that your method perhaps should be tried first.  I've used the other and it works, but trying yours first will perhaps avoid making the snag unnecessarily more firmly stuck.

As an aside, I have used this same approach to get large mouth bass to swim free of grass around which they have wrapped line.  Your method would certainly be the thing to try in this kind of situation.  icon14.gif