Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JrzFlyGuy

Turnaround for VS reapir?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Anybody have an estimated time frame for a repair for a VanStaal 250? My drag is almost completely seized up and it's only about a year old. I probably used it about 20 times and I would like them to check it out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You have a new VS only a year old and the drag is almost siezed ? Oh they will fix it for you .....I will be surprised if they cover it under warranty.

Can you due it yourself ? Get a drag and seal kit and due it yourself . I am surprised it is nearly siezed ......

Again ZeeBaas is just more user friendly to service and the drag is watertight too !

You have a new VS only a year old and the drag is almost siezed ? Oh they will fix it for you .....I will be surprised if they cover it under warranty.

Can you due it yourself ? Get a drag and seal kit and due it yourself . I am surprised it is nearly siezed ......

Again ZeeBaas is just more user friendly to service and the drag is watertight too !

He's not asking about a ZB & Why would you be surprised they wouldn't cover it?

Got to Love these "Know It All's"

Your best bet is to give them a Call..................

My VS is going back for the second time in two weeks...  Sent it back two weeks ago, it had a hiccup in it.  They replaced the traverse guide.  Fished it tonite, and now there's three hiccups in it...  I'm pissed to say the least.  I love the reel, not happy w/ the quality/service though.  I wish there was another option in the VS150 size that I liked...

To answer your question, the turn around for me was less than two weeks.

Hey Flytyinguy :

I have worked and repaired VS reels since their inception . I know the originals and the newer reels very well and their issues . I also repair

and service ZeeBaas , Penn, Accurate , Shimano and Avet . So before you go opening your uninformed mouth you may want to know who your

talking about first.

VS is very sticky about corrosion and abuse now ........its not send it in and it will be taken care of any more. You abuse it you pay to fix it .

If you send in a older reel Pre 7K they want to buy you out of the warranty and sell you a new China made reel. Not a bad thing but I know

exactly what is going on my friend .

For your mouth you have earned ******* status and that entitles you to absolute zero help from me or my staff.....your welcome ; )

Igotworms:

I hear ya buddy . This is exactly what I mean ! Why ? I suggest you have a local VS service/repair look at your reel . I don't blame you for being pissed ! Its a GD fishing reel ! They should have fixed

you sent it in for , correcly assembled it and tested it intead of slamming it in a box for shipment ! Lots of complaints of nicks and scratches lately too.

I would be more than glad to help yopu out if you are nearbye .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occams Razor View Post

Igotworms:

I hear ya buddy . This is exactly what I mean ! Why ? I suggest you have a local VS service/repair look at your reel . I don't blame you for being pissed ! Its a GD fishing reel ! They should have fixed

you sent it in for , correcly assembled it and tested it intead of slamming it in a box for shipment ! Lots of complaints of nicks and scratches lately too.

I would be more than glad to help yopu out if you are nearbye .

I honestly wish I never bought it now.  It's a sweet reel, lightweight, powerful...but come on, for $700 to be bad out of the box (I can give the benefit of the doubt on this one, stuff happens) but I send it back to be fixed only to get it back in worse shape than it went there in?  Ridiculous.  It didn't go to the factory in Tulsa, it went to the store in Connecticut that is one of their service centers.  I bought the reel in Sept.   

I'm working a few angles this this time before sending it back that may make them listen a little bit more this time mad.gif.   I may just sell it when I get it back and get something else...just don't know what that 'else' is.  Not a huge fan of ZB or Torque and the Saltiga is $1200 and new...  I wish Shimano would just make a sealed reel...maybe Mr. Shimano will read this thread biggrin.gif

This is the first time I have heard negative comments with regard to the service center at Rivers End in Connecticut. Call on the phone and ask to speak to "Q". They take a great deal of pride in their work at that shop and should be afforded the opportunity to to look at the reel again.

Forgive my next comment but it is a little far fetched to think that THIS factory authorized VS service center that has taken apart thousands of 100 series reels which accept the plastic wrench for disassembly would leave plier marks on the outside of the case. Again, no disrespect intended but I have been in that service center many times and they do excellent work. If you have any doubts go there on their annual Spring Surf Day and see for yourself.

Marc

I back mml4's comments. "Q" is an anal guy for perfection. He is an amazing craftsman. I don't think they would ever take a pliers to the reel. Just speaking from experience. JP

I back mml4's comments. "Q" is an anal guy for perfection. He is an amazing craftsman. I don't think they would ever take a pliers to the reel. Just speaking from experience. JP

Quoted For Truth. You are in good hands up there.

IGOTWORMS, anyone and anything can have a 'hiccup' or even a full blown meltdown. It happens. However, the facts are that the place in CT and VS reels have more than proven themselves time and again with some of the country's toughest fishermen. I would trust them. Give em a call and they will take care of it. Could you post pictures of the wrench marks? I would be interested and shocked to see that.

A VS reel is very tough. They are made to be abused. Before we bash VS for not servicing the OP's reel, why not pick up a phone and find out if in fact thats true? If your drag seized within the warranty period they will surely make it good. FTG is right, as usual, I dont care how smart you are; if you dont have it in your hand you cant know...no matter how much you know. Comprende?

Lets just calm down, remember its January and its our God given SOL right to argue and complain but we are all brothers. Worms, JRZFLY, give em a call.

Kinda late to this post but shipwreck is correct either call the guy in ct who did the service or call Tulsa .

I can speak from experience, I have a us made 200 that I traded for here last year and it was in less than great condition . I sent it backto Tulsa because it had to be sent there to be serviced. I received my reel back in the normal window of turn over that one would expect in the off season. I used the reel sparingly until Columbus day weekend when I fished with the masses this year in montauk and I fished it hard for a week straight. The r eel performed flawlessly, a week later I picked the reel up to go fishing and it feels like I am grinding the gears every time I turn the handle.

Now I am pissed, I spent about $170 in repairs in the offseason and this is what I get. Needless to say I called tulsa and expressed ( yes in a polite way) my dissatisfaction with the servicing of the reel.

I sent it back yet again, this time the turn around was 7-10 days .

Point is VS made right on their gaff, so call them up and talk to them .

I can't speak directly about the guy in CT because I have never had my reel serviced there, but it was the first placed I called about getting mine serviced. It was the first placed I called because my fishing partner has had his multiple VS serviced there and he raves about their level of service.

I would add that the ct guy has probably more motivation to make right any possible gaffs he might/might not have made so again call either him or Vs directly to square it away.

Just my .02 but I hope it helps you

I thought Igotworms sent his reel to Tulsa. He never mentioned CT.

If it was just bought this past Sept. new , it would to to CT.. Serial #'s below #7000 go to Tulsa for Service...

Steve