Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

"There is always someone less fortunate in this world than you"

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I use to appreciate this expression (actually cliche') and I do still accept it's point to a degree at face value...but nowadays, I largely find it demeaning and trivializing to your own problems...for example, if you get a flat tire, or slice your finger to where you need stitches, or experience some other painful or inconvenient mishap, are you supposed to brush it off and smile because there are blind or paralyzed people in this world?

PS - when that expression really applies, no one has to say it to you...for example, once about 20 years ago I was in an emergency room with a bluefish hook gouged in my leg and more or less having a pity party. Someone who was in a motorcycle accident was brought in, and unfortunately he died (info was basically obtained through the grapevine by hearing nurses talking and watching family coming in then grieving)...I didn't need to be reminded of where the bluefish hook fell on the scale of life's tragedies at that moment

You're supposed to shut up and take it like a man. Boo hoo hoo.

Besides, you're too old to believe in those stupid old sayings.

So growing old does have it's advantages:D:D

are you supposed to brush it off and smile because there are blind or paralyzed people in this world?
I use the term (in my mind) to keep my issues in perspective. Things could always be worse than they are.

I use to appreciate this expression (actually cliche') and I do still accept it's point to a degree at face value...but nowadays, I largely find it demeaning and trivializing to your own problems...for example, if you get a flat tire, or slice your finger to where you need stitches, or experience some other painful or inconvenient mishap, are you supposed to brush it off and smile because there are blind or paralyzed people in this world?

yes.

Self pity is an important human trait. It's what sets us apart from dolphins and cheetahs.

"Is there not something that I'm the best at...?"

Not if you include self-pity.