Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicky

fishing aruba?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Never went to Aruba, but spent some time in Curacao and Bonaire (sister islands). Lots of fish from shore. Good numbers of snappers and cuda. Didn't try for groupers, but saw loads of them diving. Fishing in the tropics is fun, especially on light tackle; lots of smaller fish with a lot of fight in them. Hope this helps.

Peter

There's a retaurant/marina right on the water in about the middle of all the hotels kinda near the Holiday Inn and there's always a bunch of crumb snatching mullet about 16-18" that hang out waiting for breadcrumbs and stuff dropped overboard. Use a little piece of bread or a fly that looks like one and you'll spank em'.

Chickage...

Tins 3/4 ounce all the way upto 3 oz.

Poppers with lots of color.

Floro line, no snaps... away from the hotels, there are lots of beaches with rock points, and good structure. there are plenty of fish to catch around there. Check around the docks (all the hotels have docks used for parasailing, water skiing etc), look into the water. there is usally some big fish lurking under those docks...

I saw permit (i think, maybe pompano) under one of the docks when I was down there.

BC

Though I saw none when I was there, I heard several stories about BIG snook under some of those docks. There are a lot of small docks/piers between where the hotels are and town, so check them out. All I caught there was a bunch of rat dophin.

If you mosey down the beach past all the hotels you'll find a small marina and ramp that the locals and a couple of small charters use. Plenty of nice snook in amonst the docks there until sunrise when I think all the activity drives them out. I also had some luck with small cudas by the old fishing village. Didn't see any permit, but sure wish I had.

Jack

My dad caught an 70 lb Wahoo down there.

Before Chartering ask if they have fishing poles,

some smaller boats will try to take you trolling with hand lines.

If you can pack an ultra-light, head down to Baby Beach. I went snokeling there and saw Cudas and Permit-like fish. Cudas lurk by the docks.

Man I wish I was going again. Last time my cousin and I rented dirtbikes and beat the crap out of them. Other recreational activities by Baby Beach also wink.gifwink.gif Good times smile.gif

Dude,

Also, you should plan on going 4 wheeling... its not for the faint of heart... we went out on our own (which I think was a mistake, 2 trucks (suziki samauri's), 8 people and 4 cases of beer, LOL), and 3 times we had to stop and ask our selves, "do we really want to try that" we seriously almost flipped our truck 3-4 times.

it was fun tho!!

PErmit like is a good way to describe that fish... looked like a permit, but not sure if it was or not...

BC

I do Aruba ALOT and can say that the offshore fishing is top notch, but not too many boats do it right. DO NOT bother with the in-town fleet. They don't want to fish teh windward side and it's a long steam. There are several charter boats behind the Marriott high rise that fish the deep. SPeak with Pete Maier on the Melina. She ain't much to look at-29ish Chris Craft with twin 165 Volvo's-but Pete is gettting better at the offshore thing. There's another boat there that is ofter booked, 6 or so slips away, a 29ish Allura with Yanmars, that does well too. Also, there are bonefish flats you can fish from shore. Drive around and look-you'll find the areas-that's how I did it, but plan on fishing real early or real late as the activities blow that fishing all to he11. Have a good time...

CMP

You're right about the best fishing being on the windward side, but the in town fleet isn't ALL bad. I can recommend Peter Creutzberg (runs the Mahi-Mahi), and he definitely fishes the windward. In three trips with Peter, the only time we didn't fish the front side of the island was when we hit a spectacular mahi/albie/king bite off the oil refinery as we were on the way around the island. Ended up staying around there until everyone was exhausted. He's also got one of the largest boats down there, so he's pretty much able to go most days.

The only downside I've found with charters in Aruba is that the captains are rigged for the really large fish they occasionally encounter, and the gear tends to overpower most of the fish they normally encounter. 80's and 130's are the norm. I couldn't find any that fished with 30's or even 50's.

Jack