Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scuba69

Braid for Penn 113H Senator 4/0 Special

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Had some problems with biiiiiiiiig Yellow Fin Tuna (was using 50lb and lost a huge one:mad:) and would like to get some Braid Line, what's the best choice for trolling? Should I go with 80lb Power Pro? Are there other and better suggestions:confused:? What would be the best leader to attach?

Thanks for replies,

Trolling braid would allow you lures or bait to troll deeper without huge amounts of weight. I would say no less than 300 yards 65lb braid for yellowfin under 50lbs. 80-100lb braid would be good for them over 50lbs. I would almost say get a bigger reel, and be ready for anything. 400yrds of 100lb braid with 75 yrds of 100 mono would catch about anything. Or get an 80 series reel and pack it full with 80lb mono.

Had some problems with biiiiiiiiig Yellow Fin Tuna (was using 50lb and lost a huge one:mad:) and would like to get some Braid Line, what's the best choice for trolling? Should I go with 80lb Power Pro? Are there other and better suggestions:confused:? What would be the best leader to attach?

Thanks for replies,

How big were the tuna? There are quite a few good makers of braid. Suffix is what I use but for trolling I use mono but it's on a much bigger reel than a 4/0. I would think that's too small for trolling.

How big were the tuna? There are quite a few good makers of braid. Suffix is what I use but for trolling I use mono but it's on a much bigger reel than a 4/0. I would think that's too small for trolling.

Biggest in boat was 68 lbs (others ranging between 30 lbs & 50), the one lost was huge, it sure looked much bigger. The reel can be loaded with a lot of 80lb braid, just want to get the best.

At present in my spinning reels I use Power Pro 30lb and on the Penn I've been using 50lb, never had a problem before but it was not enough for two of the Tunas we found last week-end.... (probably the braid was damage), just don't want to experience loosing a big tuna again....

This is the answer. Just throw a mono top shot on jb and you good to go. If you are going offshore on a regular basis definitely look into larger reels. Penn 9/0's have killed a lot of large tuna until you are able to upgrade

Jerry Brown Hollow Core Braid if your targeting Tuna. Only Way To Go!

I think you would do just as well tying on 80# power pro however much you like and then a long top shot of mono as has been suggested. We hooked and fought about 250# bluefin to boatside with a heavy spinner and a 3 ounce bucktail using powerpro and leader broke (was jigging for stripers), 3 years ago out of OI.

If you spool a 113 with 100lb standard braid you will get a sick amount of line on it. Like well over 700 yards. I dont have my chart with me. I will check it out later at work. It may even cost almost as much as the reel. Using JB would def exceed the cost of the reel. Putting JB on a 113 is alot like putting Pirrellis on a Chevy Volt. Get some 100 put on about 400 yds of the braid, the rest backing and a nice bimini into a heavy mono top shot.

You can fit plenty of 80 or 100# braid on the 113H. Stern, powerpro or sufix are all good also. Maybe there was something damaged on the line you had. Sucks losing a big fish.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-senator/penn-special-senator-star-drag/1285659.html

A Penn 113H holds 750/65 650/80 550/100 of standard braided line. Be sure and include at least 75 yards of MONO at the end (same strength) in order to give the line a bit of "stretch," otherwise, it will break easier with big fish.