Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budlightyear

Wall Paper Border?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Any ideas on the easiest way to remove a wall border. I have never removed one before and was looking for tips. I remember soaking it in water and then applying it with a squeegee If that helps thanks.

Get one of these and get the spray to lossen the glue. Score the paper, spray the wall and let it soak for a good 15 mins.

Use a paint scraper and gently remove the paper.

Get one of these and get the spray to lossen the glue. Score the paper, spray the wall and let it soak for a good 15 mins.

Use a paint scraper and gently remove the paper.

Most borders are strippable vinyl. There is a vinyl top layer over the paper backing. In order to penetrate the backing paper and glue, you have to remove or score the top vinyl layer.

Try getting a corner of the border lifted with your fingers or a spackle knife and peel the top vinyl layer off before reaching for a paper tiger. They make a bunch of pinholes in the wall if you're not careful.

By peeling some or all of the vinyl you will be able to soak the underneath layer and paste with warm water. Let it soak, resoak if necessary.

Peel the paper layer off and scrub the paste off with a sponge and scrubby.

People tend to over think paper removal. When in doubt, soak it again.

You got lucky. Some of those things are glued so tight that nothing works. You end up tearing up the sheetrock so bad with the scraper that it would have beeen easier to cut the rock out and retape. I ended up in my Florida home just putting a skim coat of spackle over all the borders and sanding smooth.