Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clambellies

Can you recommend a heavy duty fly vise?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

If all you want to tie is 5 oz jigs then I'm thinking a pair of vise grips clamped to a bench may be just the ticket. I wouldn't get too elegant.

tight wraps.

I tie flies on a Regal with a pedestal, and the standard jaws. It's a heavy duty vise but won't hold hooks larger than about a 3/0 or 4/0, depending on the hook & wire diameter. With the big game jaws it's still limited in how large the wire diameter of the hook it will hold. Great vise, but limited. Get up into the 7/0 & larger jig hooks you'll have a hard time finding a fly tying vise that will hold the hook.

I also have a home made vise, made from an old pair of vise grips, that I use for tying anything larger than the Regal will hold. I drilled a hole thru the one handle & welded in a section of rod, and fabricated a clamp for it. No rotary, but it will hold anything I've stuck in it, up to 10/0 jig hooks. Except for my time in fabricating, it cost me less than $30 to make.

With 5 oz jigs, you'll likely have to use a clamp type vise. Pedestals are great for some things, but when you go heavy, they'll become tippy, unless of course you go with something even more heavy, like petegray posted. :D

Tidewater is right on with the vise grips, made a the same set up and it never fails. Pete's vise is a sure way to hold big jigs or any leadheads for that matter. If you are going to tye flys then the Regal (I've owned over 20 years) is a great vise. Some good options here.

Bringing that to Somerset?? :wee:

It is, after all, my go to multi-purpose travel vise... ;)

but the bench it's attached to won't fit in my car... :mad:

so...

I'll have to buy something at the show... :shock:

I think the regal big game heads will hold up to a 12/0 hook, I've used mine for tying jigs in the 6 oz range with no problems holding em nice and tight

Wasn't aware of this, according to Regals website, they say the big game jaws will hold from size 22 to 5/0. My vise has the standard jaws. I can get a 3/0 worm hook into the jaws, but not a saltwater hook.

I've been considering buying just the head with the big game jaws, but not if they will only hold up to a 5/0, the price just doesn't justify it for me. If they'll hold up to a 12/0 that would be a different story.