Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanalPlugger23

Fly Vices

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyingguy1 View Post

Can't go wrong with a Dyna-King King Fisher or a renzetti travel.

Ron is on target with the above. I'll second his advise, buy a top rated brand if you can. Just as good as/looks like are a waste. You can often find used Regal Medallion Series on the big auction site for $150. This is a great product and easy to use, you'll love it. Watch the SOL Fly Buy/Sell, plenty of good buys plus you'll not get stiffed.

The Griffin Odyssey Spider is IMO the best value out there right now (especially in the price range you designated). The rotation adjustment on the Peak vise isn't that great (basically all or nothing) and the heavy head assembly makes rotation uneven (wanting to fall fast from the upside down position). With the Griffin Spider, you get fully adjustable, smooth rotation with a lightweight but strong metal assembly. Also I believe the jaws will hold a greater range of hooks than the Peak. Don't get me wrong, the Peak is a nice vise, but why pay twice as much for fewer benefits? MSRP on the Griffin is $85, leaves you a heavy wallet for new fly tying materials...

Ron is on target with the above. I'll second his advise, buy a top rated brand if you can. Just as good as/looks like are a waste. You can often find used Regal Medallion Series on the big auction site for $150. This is a great product and easy to use, you'll love it. Watch the SOL Fly Buy/Sell, plenty of good buys plus you'll not get stiffed.

If you see a Regal Medallion Series up for sale, give me a ring or drop me an email.

Never have time from work to search for one!

I'd recommend trying as many vises as you can. Often times the better vise for a person is not the most expensive one that you are dreaming about. I have a Dyna King myself because I thought it would be a nice upgrade from the Renzetti Traveler I had, and it turns out it was like a downgrade in my opinion. There are a lot of different vises on the market these days all trying to find their own place in the tying market so there are lots of options.

I'd recommend trying as many vises as you can. Often times the better vise for a person is not the most expensive one that you are dreaming about. I have a Dyna King myself because I thought it would be a nice upgrade from the Renzetti Traveler I had, and it turns out it was like a downgrade in my opinion. There are a lot of different vises on the market these days all trying to find their own place in the tying market so there are lots of options.

:huh: curious what Dyna King You have? I have the Barracuda & It's bullet proof. Will hold any hook or Jig I will ever tie.

But your talking twice your budget!

Always buy the better things in life. Why because they will last a lifetime. Dyna-King love it ties up to 12/0 hooks. Never had an issue with it and they will cover it under warrenty.

[ATTACHMENT=4287]untitled.bmp (100k. bmp file)[/ATTACHMENT]

In my opinion and experience, the best made, most bulletproof vice is the Dyna- King Barracuda. To me, its as beautiful and well made as a fine watch. The easiest to use vice is a Regal. You just open the jaws, insert a hook and off you go with your fly tying. The best value vice, by far, is a Griffin 3 ARP. It's precision made in the USA out of quality steel, has a lifetime warranty, and can pretty much do everything the pricier units can do. It just doesn't look as pretty. By the way, I've owned all of the vices I've mentioned and the Griffin, which is the oldest and first vice I bought, still gets an awful lot of use.

Valentine