Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Guy

Guide Spacing - MH Surf Rocket

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I’m working on my first rod, a 10’ Mud Hole Surf Rocket (equivalent to a Lami ISU 120 2MH). I’m setting it up as a Spinning Rod with a Penn Battle 6000 (with braid) at 30” from the bottom.

What would be good starting locations for my guides? I plan to adjust them based upon Stress Distribution and Test Casts, but it would be helpful to have an idea of where to start. :confused:

Thanks,

George

Here's something I posted a year ago, in this thread: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/776839/guide-spacing

You need to let test casting dictate where to put the butt guide, but if you're totally at sea, 30 inches is a good place to start.

I prefer my butt guides closer to the reel than most builders seem to - I usually end up in the 24-26 inch area, because going farther than that doesn't improve casting any, and the rod will fight fish better the closer to the reel you can get the butt guide. But Surfmaster is right: each setup is unique, and what I'm using (a certain reel with 30-lb. test braid) might be different enough from what you're using that your butt guide will end up in a different spot. You need to let the blank, test casting, and static distribution tell you where to put everything.

But if you're so new that none of this makes sense, then starting with the butt guide at 30 inches is a good idea.

You can also find a lot of information on this subject by searching this forum.