Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kones

first etex try

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

tried etex instead of diamond coat.was 75 degrees f & 45% relative humidity witch is verry close to what it was for diamond coat application.flipping every 10 minutes or so & using a straw to blow the surface to get rid of bubbles.it is a smoother finnish by far & almost no bubbles.this has taken my finish to a new level,its what ive been looking for.dust contamination is a problem now as the cure time is longer but this is why the finish is smoother.i have 2 questions,the first is why do some of you want a higher temp in the spinner if a lower temp is a slower cure? im assuming the slower cure is desirable for the smoothest finish.and does the spinner help with dust contamination?as clean as my shop is even after blowing with air & filtering the air for a few hours i still have some dust in my etex at the end.the stuff is a super magnet for dust.im truely impressed with this stuff & i see the value of a spinner now.

I can't answer your questions, but I have one for you. How long did you have to keep flipping them before they were set enough not to have the epoxy move? I have a lureturner and I am just wondering if it need to run for 4 hours, 12 hours or 2 days at 70 degrees.

The wood stove is going and it's 80 in there, just interested in setup time, not time before I can fish it.

ive used it 3 times now & its been about 2 hours.id think keeping a close eye on them till 3 hours should be ok. im building a spinner box in the future & that is where i plan to start.im doing only 6 at a time using 10ml of etex & an acid brush.all is well till airborne dust & or something from my brush or container or whatever shows up.the bubbles are taken care of with the straw & a little blowjob.im hoping a spinner helps with dust as i wont have to handle them while they harden.as clean as i can get things dust still messes with me.maybe im too pickey but some come out with no blemish at all,well except for all the other faults i can find on every plug.a dent or a pull out in the wood,something not perfect with the paint,the etex,the grommets,the TAIL RAP,man & now my wife is tying the tails & learning that.most of what ive built swims ok,so ive got that going for me at least.4 dozen poppers & a handfull of dannys is all ive done so im no expert,far from it & my advice should be tempered with this knowledge there bob ol"buddy.sworry im so long winded but i wanted to explain my experience for you.

Kones, I use etex (no spinner & heat) I've only use the flipping method and all the plugs come out smoooth and very nice. I mix my etex, give each plug a good coat and instantly hang the 1st one and go onto the next. Once they are all haniging, flip every 20 -30 minutes and I only flip 3 times. Then I move them in a cardboard box with hangers in it with a piece of plastic covering the front. Move them inside the house and let sit for a week or 2.

If you're having dust issues, are you doing any kind of turning,sanding before etex? Even vacuming beforehand is going to stir up the dust settling on your bench and work area.

When I etex, I don't do anything but etex and bring them inside to dry.

Move them inside the house and let sit for a week or 2.

Damn, you have a lot of patience. I won't touch them for 2 days and usually by then I am not leaving any fingerprints on them. They do seem to continue to cure for a while longer but I don't have enough lures in the que to move on to some other part of the process. I think I am going to try to do a whole batch of plugs this time so I always have somethign to work on.

i coated 4 more last night & this time i let the etex sit for 10 minutes before applying & it made a difference,less bubbles & a lot less dust?that i cant figure out.by dust i mean i can see 2 or 3,sometimes 5 or 6 ,what look like dust particles in the finish or on the finish.is this normal or am i too anal?

Do you use a tack rag before you E-tex? That helps tremendously. Buy them at the local autobody supply store.

I also use a propane torch instead of blowing through a straw. Wave it rapidly over the E-tex and let it hang.

glass.

i coated 4 more last night & this time i let the etex sit for 10 minutes before applying & it made a difference,less bubbles & a lot less dust?that i cant figure out.by dust i mean i can see 2 or 3,sometimes 5 or 6 ,what look like dust particles in the finish or on the finish.is this normal or am i too anal?

Etex seems to have a static charge for about 10 minutes after it is mixed. It attracts alot of dust in those 10 minutes, but if you wait until after to coat your lures, problem solved.

Also, take care to stir up as little dust as possible in the room you are using to apply Etex to your lures.

jeremy

well that makes sence.10 minute sit time,is that what most of you do?everything i can do to help i will.the tack rags ill try for sure.my shop is clean,i mean CLEAN, dust control & air filtration system coupled with cleaning & vacuming it cant get cleaner.i can see the diff with the earliest coated plugs compared to the last to be coated so that has to be it.thank you guys.this etex has helped to bring me to the next level.