Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HJS

Any Bald Eagle Experts on SOL???

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Any eagle experts out there??? The eagle cam at the Blackwater Refuge on Maryland’s Eastern Shore is showing an eagles nest with 2 eggs in it. I mean, it freaking January 23, 2012!,… this can’t be a good idea!… or is this normal?

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

Here’s the link to the eagle cam. It updates a couple times a minute. To see the eggs you might have to click on the “2012 Eagle Cam Gallery” and click to at least page 7 or 8 to see the eggs.

Any eagle experts out there??? The eagle cam at the Blackwater Refuge on Maryland’s Eastern Shore is showing an eagles nest with 2 eggs in it. I mean, it freaking January 23, 2012!,… this can’t be a good idea!… or is this normal?

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

Here’s the link to the eagle cam. It updates a couple times a minute. To see the eggs you might have to click on the “2012 Eagle Cam Gallery” and click to at least page 7 or 8 to see the eggs.

That's when they have them here in Jersey to. Crazy.

You have to think like a predator (or evolve like a predator).

You're going to have babies. You need to feed them. What do you feed them?

Well, other babies would be a good choice, or in the case of eagles - migrating fish.

When do the other babies and fish come along? Early spring.

So, if you're a predator it would make sense to have your babies first so they hatch just as everything else is arriving. Also, if you're a big bird, they take longer t grow up so you need to start earlier.

The upshot is lots of the big predatory birds tend to nest early. Babies will be coming out just as the shad come up the river. It's all good.

Saltator - I was thinking that might be the case. Herring and shad start doing their thing in the rivers and streams starting the third week in March here in MD. And you wouldn't wanna have your feathery butt sittin on a couple of eggs the entire time the fish were running and highly accessible. Makes sense to me. Thanks all for getting back.

Here's last years timeline for the Dukes Farm eagle cam in Somerset County, NJ. Hatch dates are damn close to when things start happening in the river!

January: Eagle activity at the nest is intermittent. The eagles began visiting the nest in December and have been making some repairs to the nest to prepare it for another nesting season.

February 28: First egg is laid (estimated hatching date: April 4).

March 4: Second egg is laid (estimated hatching date: April 7).

March 6: Third egg is laid (estimated hatching date: April 10).

If anyone is ever on Maryland's Eastern shore I highly recommend a drive through Blackwater Refuge.

It has a drive through loop, for $3.00 or so, and you are almost guaranteed to see Eagles, and other wild birds, Geese,Heron's etc.

It is a little out of the way, but worth the trip.