"government should not intrude on private family matters"

Rate this topic

eddy

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/22/statement-president-roe-v-wade-anniversary

As we mark the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we must remember that this Supreme Court decision not only protects a woman’s health and reproductive freedom, but also affirms a broader principle: that government should not intrude on private family matters. I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose and this fundamental constitutional right. While this is a sensitive and often divisive issue- no matter what our views, we must stay united in our determination to prevent unintended pregnancies, support pregnant woman and mothers, reduce the need for abortion, encourage healthy relationships, and promote adoption. And as we remember this historic anniversary, we must also continue our efforts to ensure that our daughters have the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons to fulfill their dreams.

private family matters............. unemployment, debt, underwater on your mortgage, health insurance, child's education.

i guess it's only private stuff up until the government wants to get involved so they can control the lives of people.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

The Gov really wants to intrude where true f***ing (sexual intercourse) takes place.

But we are on the slippery slope of getting F ed by the Gov in everything we do.

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/22/statement-president-roe-v-wade-anniversary

As we mark the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we must remember that this Supreme Court decision not only protects a woman’s health and reproductive freedom, but also affirms a broader principle: that government should not intrude on private family matters. I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose and this fundamental constitutional right. While this is a sensitive and often divisive issue- no matter what our views, we must stay united in our determination to prevent unintended pregnancies, support pregnant woman and mothers, reduce the need for abortion, encourage healthy relationships, and promote adoption. And as we remember this historic anniversary, we must also continue our efforts to ensure that our daughters have the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons to fulfill their dreams.

private family matters............. unemployment, debt, underwater on your mortgage, health insurance, child's education.

i guess it's only private stuff up until the government wants to get involved so they can control the lives of people.

Eddy:

Your comment raises the same constitutional quandaries Professor ****her wrestles with:

"Are there basic values - moral, social, or economic - that truly reflect a national consensus?

Even if there are such values, does the existence of a consensus justify reading them into the Constitution?

Do the Court's fundamental value adjudications in fact rest upon an adequately widespread consensus?

Or do they reflect values shared by only a segment of society?

Do they ultimately reflect nothing more than the beliefs of a majority of Justices at a particular time?

Are fundamental value adjudications unacceptable if the Court cannot demonstrate an adequate link to constitutional text, history, or structure?

Is it possible to state a principled, disciplined "fundamental values" approach that safeguards adequately against merely subjective judicial lawmaking?"

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?