Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
openwaters115

Trout waters in the Philadelphia area

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

Im a college student in Philly and am starting to plan out my spring as far as fishing goes and Im just looking for some good streams and whatnot pretty close to the philly area so I can try to get out on weekends and maybe some weeknights.  Im not looking for anything specific just some names of streams or lakes and I will go out and explore them to find some spots.  Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Hey everyone

Im a college student in Philly and am starting to plan out my spring as far as fishing goes and Im just looking for some good streams and whatnot pretty close to the philly area so I can try to get out on weekends and maybe some weeknights.  Im not looking for anything specific just some names of streams or lakes and I will go out and explore them to find some spots.  Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

How far do you want to travel?

North of philly in Levittown you have Levittown lake that gets stock a couple times of year. You also have parts of the Delaware Canal in that area. Nashaminy Creek above Hummeville or Pendel gets stocked. Don't think there is really anything in the city limits that gets done. Not sure about south of the city either.

And its just my opinion but you can have a lot more fun with the small stripers in the Nashaminy Creek from the mouth of the river up to Newportville.

The wissahickon creek gets stocked, Now if i was you i would cheat. Here is what you do look on the fish and game site. They have the dates they stock each stream they need volunteers to help since you are in school you should have no issue going to help out. You get to follow the stocking truck along it's rout and at each stop they give you a bucket of fish to dump in the water. If they don't have a lot of volunteers you can do two or three buckets a stop. Once you see the stocked areas you can see which areas are hard to get too. these will be the ones you want to target. I used to do the stocking and then opening day i would drive to the area and ride my mountain bike to a secluded spot where i put my buckets. You can stick around after stocking and if the water is clear you can see the wholes the fish swim to.

The wissahickon creek gets stocked, Now if i was you i would cheat. Here is what you do look on the fish and game site. They have the dates they stock each stream they need volunteers to help since you are in school you should have no issue going to help out. You get to follow the stocking truck along it's rout and at each stop they give you a bucket of fish to dump in the water. If they don't have a lot of volunteers you can do two or three buckets a stop. Once you see the stocked areas you can see which areas are hard to get too. these will be the ones you want to target. I used to do the stocking and then opening day i would drive to the area and ride my mountain bike to a secluded spot where i put my buckets. You can stick around after stocking and if the water is clear you can see the wholes the fish swim to.

We have to kill you now, CBR.

Really, the state website will help.

Good luck.