Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonny

Articulated Shank Flies

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys -- the more I tie with these articulated shanks, the more I like them. I previously posted some squid and a few baitfish, but I'm starting to see where they make things easier, particularly for jointed/articulated streamers to use in freshwater. They give you a lot of weighting options, because you can weight either or both the swinging hook or the articulated shank to make the fly ride up or down. They also let you tie a big trout streamer with a hook set fairly far back, but with no leverage issues. Here are a few recent flies for spring on the Delaware. They're in the four inch range, and are divided by hook up/hook down.

All four of these streamers are designed to ride hook point UP. All except for the olive one have an upside-down zonker tied unweighted on the actual hook, with the articulated shank being weighted with scud weights and lead to flip the whole thing to ride hook up. The two sculpin shaped ones (brownish/blackish) have a marabou collar (like the Kinky Muddler/Beastmasters Local 66 tied) wrapped on the first part of the articulated shank, followed by a Kinky Fiber Head. The grey one is a little Delaware River alewife tied like a jointed minnow, with no marabou. The olive one is different, because it has the weight on the hook itself, which is just a Woolly Bugger swinging off a Kinky Muddler head -- i.e., weight is all in the swinging back portion of the fly, tied on top of the hook, which does indeed seem to flip the whole thing. On all, the hooks swing freely sideways and up and down:

[img=

p><p>  <a href=[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2868946/width/600/height/429]

[img=

Unlike the above flies, the two below are tied to ride hook down, conventional style. The hooks are unweighted and the shanks are wrapped with a ton of lead. The tan one has a zonker tied on the tail and the black one has a straight Woolly Bugger tail:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2868955/width/600/height/450]

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2868957/width/600/height/451' alt='451'>

If you are into the whole articulated fly thing, check the shanks out. So far, I like them.

Jonny

As always, beautiful ties. Have you been able to water test them; any interference between the marabou and adjacent bunny or crystal flash?

As you've shown, there are lots of innovative paths. I've had great (for me) results with Squid ties; tried some Intruders, but am a little uneasy about the stinger hook binding due to small eye size.

These all look sick. I looked up some older threads on articulated flies and there is some debate om how they swim, different ways to connect them, ect. A jointed bomber moves because of the lip right? I would love to see these guys swim. Regardless they are beautiful and will catch. Saw a thread on articulated crease flies, I might start there.