Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunt for blueessss

Anybody build fly rods?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Rod building's always interested me, mainly because the parts are so inexpensive relative to store costs. I want to look into making a small stream rod as my first. a 1 or 2 wt. anybody doing this? or threads to it? I've looked around a bit, but just thought I'd ask :)

A fly rod is quite different then making a spinning or conventional casting rod. The casting style and ability of the fisherman are strong factors in determining the blank chosen. With a 1-2 weight rod they become less of a factor since casting distance is really not an issue. For a first time build I would go with an inexpensive blank from Temple Fork, MHX/Mudhole or another source. You might even consider one of the fly rod kits from Mudhole.

Al G.

Hunt,

Thats all I do.

Al is right re inexpensive blanks - but not for obvious reason - with that light of a rod you are not looking for performance; and weight is so low there is not much savings there. I would contact Dan Craft (Google him) and see if he has any inexpensive blanks.

I am definitely not a fan of TFO.

The objective with a fly rod - and especially of that weight - is to keep weight as low as possible. That means not one wrap longer than it needs to be. Not a lot of thread finish - the thread should almost be starved of finish. REC recoil single foot running guides. REC recoil tip-top. Size "00" thread for running guides - hard to find. Gudebrod makes it. Not one guide more than absolutely necessary.

Herb

Rainshadow blems are readily available, cheap ($20 or $25) and quite serviceable. Nothing wrong with them at all, they make good fishing tools, and are a low-pressure way to get your feet wet.