Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayak99

Reglazing a bathroom sink - worth it?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Have a bathroom sink about 15 years old that has lost it's glaze. Custom built it's the kind that goes under a granite top. The wife either wants it replaced or reglazed. Looks like it would take a lot of work to replace and probably not a DIY project.

Anyone have experiences with reglazing, either DIY or professionally? . How long might a reglazing last? Recommendations?

Thanks

check under the sink for mounting clips. Stone tops are usually custom, the sinks themselves should be from a major manufacture. Is there a name on the sink? Reason I ask is I dont think you want to go down the glazing route.

check under the sink for mounting clips. Stone tops are usually custom, the sinks themselves should be from a major manufacture. Is there a name on the sink? Reason I ask is I dont think you want to go down the glazing route.

No name on the sink just a brand that looks like a U with an upper loop connecting to a C. It has a model # 4626 and a date of manufacture that says M42Jun1391.

Can you identify the manufacturer from that symbol?

No name on the sink just a brand that looks like a U with an upper loop connecting to a C. It has a model # 4626 and a date of manufacture that says M42Jun1391.

Don't worry about the manufacturer. Loosen the clips and take a putty knife and a razor knife and break the silicone seal around the bowl and the top. Remove it and take it to a local kitchen place and ask them to get you a knew one from their local supplier, or go to one of the box stores and by a new one. Sometimes at the box stores you can find them on the cheap if its a return. Its probably gonna cost about the same to get it reglazed anyways if you can find a place to do it.

While you are waiting, go back and remove all the access silicone that's on the top so its ready for when the new bowl arrives. Get a tube a of silicone and install the new one. Its a pretty simple job.

With the top being so old not sure I'd try to remove the top to remount as you would run a risk of breaking it.

Like DerrickT said, The manufacture is not important, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt actually some bizarre custom sink made out of terracotta or something :D

Just follow his directions and you should be all set, good luck :th:

Thanks guys. I've begun to gather the parts needed to replace the bowl. I haven't removed the old one but I measured it and Lowes had one for $78.00. When I get a day I'll rip into it. Hopefully I won't be calling a plumber to rescue me! :D

P.S. The guys at Lowes thinks the old bowl is from Universal Rundle.