Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ollybama

NEW GUY HERE

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

ok guys if ya could pull one lure down the middle of tha cal. aquatuct, what would it be? how would ya rig it?  up on top? or bouncin bottom? your opinions are what I'm askin for  thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollybama View Post

ok guys if ya could pull one lure down the middle of tha cal. aquatuct, what would it be? how would ya rig it?  up on top? or bouncin bottom? your opinions are what I'm askin for  thanks

Are the police chasing you and you only have time for one lure? wink.gif Kidding, that's the "just kidding" sign here. Welcome to SOL. Fan cast 3 or 4 times on top, fan cast 3 or 4 times on bottom, fan cast 3 or 4 times through the middle. If you want to get fancy, mix up the size of your lures, but don't get stuck in the same spot thinking a new lure is the trick. Move. No need to wait for the tide to turn there, so if nothing happens walk up/down 50-100 yards and repeat cycle. That's how I would try but it's not from experience there.

hey guys what I'm doing is using a planer board to "troll" the canal,by myself I cant get do more than one line to the middle of the canal. thats why 1 choice of bait for now, first try, not knowing how it would work I picked up a 20 incher on a rattle trap in 2 hrs .I figure this is a good way to locate fish is to troll till I get hits and then stop and fish, once I get it things worked out maybe troll one on top and one dragging bottom  so what do ya guys think?

Interesting idea. Never played with them, but I've thought about it for river fishing. Maybe try standard trolling lures (bomber, yozuri, or even SP minnow). You can also run those off a 3-way with a hair raiser to get it down and to add an extra morsel. Live bait off one of those planer boards looks promising too, especially if fishing below a weir in the duct or other concentrated flow.

I lived in Tracy and fished the canals exclusively a jig would be your best bet being the speed of the canals waters are very fast. I used to even flyfish them with bluewing olives and caught small stripers about 6" long. If you had a brown or bronze colored jig I believe that it would work best.

Many moons ago as a teenager, I lived down in Delhi and we fished the canals around Turlock, Livingston and Merced. We used small spinners with one or two BB split shot about 6 - 9" up the line from it. We found that we could pick up fish pretty regularly 1/4 casting up into the current on the far side and then slow retrieving, allowing the spinner to flutter in the current, then quick jerk, flutter and retrieve technique. We would hook up into Bass, Bluegill, Perch and occasionally a Carp. Once in Blue Moon we would hook into a trophy, but most were runts. We also picked up a few (mainly Bass) using diving Rebels or Rapala's fished in much the same way.

Fish the structure of bridges, outlets for field watering and any deviation of the flow from normal. For even better fishing, wait for the seasonal 'drain down' and target the pools that are left behind. Some really good holding water can be found if you hunt for it.

oh ! man!!! if could get my alum boat. in the canal  with my fish finders oh man!!!! FISH ON!!!!!! no bud  I'm trollin off the side with planer boards and my pick-up 

I can't tell which part is the joke

I have fished my Kayak before in the canals down in the Delhi/Livingston area years ago... gets a little hairy if you're not familiar with the layout and flow :scuba:

On the other hand, I also saw someone trolling from a pickup truck, sitting in a lawn chair while using side planers...

sort of went with what my canoe says on it's side, "Paddle faster-I hear Banjo music!" :shock::shock: