Hump pump and 'emergency heat' setting

Rate this topic

Fergal

I didn't use that setting at all last year and had no issues (last winter was cold with a lot of snow). First snow of the year and I have a problem today, my outside unit was not working. Called up the heating guy that I used for A/C issues this summer and he said it was because of snow and ice accumulation in the outside unit. He suggested that I try to clear it, using warm water if necessary. I did and it came back on. He then told me that I should be using the 'emergency heat' setting when its below 30. That basically means the entire winter. I searched online and found conflicting info regarding this. What is the right way to have the heating system run?

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

So if I'm not supposed to use the emergency heat setting then how do I trust the repair guys that told me to use (incorrectly) the emergency heat setting to fix the unit properly? I'm renting, so it is not going to cost me anything but I obviously want the unit to work properly.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

since your renting and not paying you don't really have to "trust" them, just keep calling till they get it fixed.;)

a heat pump when operating properly will be cheaper to run than electric heat down close to 0 deg.

it probably will not produce enough heat but if wired correctly the electric will come on as needed to supplement the heat pump.

since your renting and not paying you don't really have to "trust" them, just keep calling till they get it fixed.;)

Yes, but its still a pain in the butt for me, need to take time off from work to let the guy in, have them come on my day off, deal with this crap on a cold, snowy weekend. I'd rather have it fixed by the 'right' person so I don't have to deal with the inconvenience.

I'd rather have it fixed by the 'right' person so I don't have to deal with the inconvenience.

that would make life easier, as a renter though about all you can do is keep your fingers crossed.

hope the guy is a good tech and can get it fixed the first time.

many guys know how to fix equipment but don't understand the economics of how it should be run.:confused: