Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Titan300

Costa Rica - Feb snook fishing with out a boat (kayak????)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

first time for me taking my fishing gear to Costa Rica!!  excited .... I can't even tell you how excited... I guess timing is everything with the snook migration!

But please someone enlighten me on :

Timing:

Lures:

Bait:

Method:

I will be located close to San Jose and I have both coasts to fish! Thru my internet research I am finding out the best location to surffish would be the Pacific side. I plan to try the coast from Bajamar south to Jaco and I am guessing the only access on the Carribiean side would be Limon rivermouths, this seems sketchy to me as I don't see much access by car to get to the rivermouth.

1. I would like some sort of Idea of best timing to start casting white bucktail jigs or lures?

2. what are the habits of these snook, most supended or right on bottom at rivermouths?

3. will snook come up and hit topwater lures at a shallow rivermouth???

I thank you for your effort and advice!!

I hope to hit them hard but as always it is called fishing not catching...hah ha hahah 

Always gratefull with open ears!

TITAN

Hey Man. I live in Napa CA but I am from Costa Rica and I target Snook/Robalo.

Try and stand in the mouth of estuarys on the out going tide.

Keep an eye out for salt water crocodiles where ever you go.  They are a very real threat. They are in the rivers and in the ocean.  My favorite fishing hole is still good because the crocs always out number the fishermen.

Very important to take water shoes to stand in the surf.   You will see sting rays in the shallows.

Bone white lures and buck tail jigs are my favorite. 

(*edited - I'm sorry, but we do not allow commercial links here - TimS)

I would spend most of the trip on the pacific.  The Atlantic coast in best done from a boat.

Try and leave your rental car within your view.  Dont leave anything in your car.  Dont leave anything on the beach even if it seems you are the only person on the beach.  The thieves are pros and will get the best of you if you let your guard down.

Try and drink as much water as possible and dump on the sun block.  Feb is very hot.  

Good luck amigo and PURA VIDA.

Best regards,

Ticogring 

Just for what it is worth it is a 4 hour van ride from San Jose airport to pacific coast ,thus if going to pacific side fly into Iberia, we stayed at Playa Flamingo great place, economy was very bad then , probably still is Charter boat office's closed,only seen one local boat fishing not to say wasnt more some where to get shrimp/sea bass .

We found area very clean ,very friendly, hired a van with Driver and Guide for $100.00 a day,plus lunch for all four of us ($40.00) The Hotel Playa Flamingo sits right on beach of pacific ,we would go back in a minute, great place, we wnt out in small town at night mingled with locals no problem at all, drank water every where with no trots the next day

When we was there just was not much going on ,fishing wise any way.

Talk with travel agent , I do not recommend the all inclusive package of meals, as you may be out of boat or any where in but dining room and miss meal you paid for , pay as you go, we did take breakfast pacakage and it was well worth money, locals had great food in town ,had a ball with them at local cafes.

Dont forget to plan for the big three of central america, permit, tarpon, and bonefish. Small pieces of conch or clam on a hook will take bones. Cuda in the mangroves is also a given. Small plastic plugs and lures will catch many species. A lipper for the spiny guys is good to have. Bring good shoes that are urchin and ray proof .Try not to drink the water down there ( all cistern ), and you wont be able to donate blood for a year after visiting that part of the world. Forgot to mention, NEVER urinate while standing/wading in fresh water.

Well Guys ... great info!

I need to ask some specific questions thou !   and it seems I don't have the permission to send tico Gringo a email... aummm I am new to the any fishing website .. newbie by all means ! ha hah!

Any ways I tied up some white jigs !

Croc's my gosh that is a bit scary after watching Nat Geo episodes !!!  but I am a brave one , I will bring a machete along not that it would be any help but it would build my confidence!

So I am good with :

1. the white Buctails - any specific size??  3 to 4 inchs or bigger! any specific type of retriveve? ( I should be bring about 15 or so in different sizes under an 1 oz? or more).

2. Footwear - I got some shoes but I got a few weeks to search for a better pair ( have you guys heard of Crocs) I think it would be the cheaper option??

3. Reading a beach is the next learning curve for me, I guess that will come with experience... ha ha !

4. Driving - ya I am a newbie ... 5:30 am  the sun rises so that means I have to leave san jose around 4am to get to Jaco area....and I don't even know the roads ... this only equals adventure in my   

head!

Al Sears I guess your right heading to the area just south of Santa Rosa national park would a long drive for a newbie, I don't know what would be worse the croc's or the drive! Ya I think that might  

be  an overnight deal!!

5. So Cheech thanks for the advice -- no pee peee in the water!!  Virus!!! I got you!

6. So what type of numbers of snook that is the average catch for a day! I see lots of pictures of big fish but I don't see any pictures of small snook caught on the beach.... it gives me a feeling that I surfishing can produce one or two fish per day if the gods bless you with all stars being aligned?

Ok that is it for now !!! I could go on forever!!

Again thank you all for your input!!!

Titan- tight lines always !

Virus is not the problem, parasites can enter your body through the urine stream! There is no need to get going at the crack of dawn, you can catch day or night, salt or fresh. A quick google of 'Costa Rico snook fishing' will give you all the small details you seek. Be mindfull of the local fishing laws. Good Luck!

Okay so head north of Jaco towards puntarenas. there are access points to beaches around there and check rocky points for roosters and big snapper. also, creek mouths for snook; but like everyone said - keep an eye out for crocs. I've had success over in montezuma which is a ferry ride over from puntarenas with roosters and snook; but a compadre from down there cath.es good fish just south of puntarenas. I cast pencils, poppers, and surface tensions for roosters and crystal minnows for snook. I'm sure a couple of castmasters and some plastic wouldn't hurt.

The drive from San Jose to Caldera is about 45 minutes on the new, toll intensive highway. Jaco is just over an hour if you jump on the Costanera just after Orotina.

If you opt to head toward Caldera, you can try Playa Tivives for snook, jacks and snapper. Near Baja Mar there are some estuaries that are good for castnetting shrimp and prawns for bait. Following HWY 27 north, if you fish around the jetty in Caldera, you might catch a snook, but generally there is not much there. However, the estuary on the east side of that bridge can be loaded with small snook and snapper. There's a couple of good seafood restaurants back there too and if you need a clean, air conditioned place to stay, the Costa del Sol offers a very clean bare bones room; the food is good there too. Continuing north toward Putarenas, you'll drive over the Rio Barranca (nothing but catfish here). Try the cruise ship pier in Puntarenas at night for Corvina and snook. You can catch assorted baitfish in the lights bouncing Sabikis weighted with 1 ounce banks. There can be plenty of local scenery in the area.:naughty::naughty: Further north from Puntarenas in the Gulf of Nicoya gets tough without a boat as much of the coast is mangroves...

If you opt to head south toward Jaco, try the lagoons in the Rio Tarcoles which can have lots of small snook and larger ones if you put your time in. You'll need a kayak or ponga. Don't mess around trying to fish any place near the bridge as the crocs are all trained to eat handouts and those are the most dangerous. Besides the water is shallow and dirty. Heading south from there, try Rio Agujas. After that, you have to get south of Jaco for more rivers with access (Parrita, Esterillos). Just about any areas with a steam or river mouth should be tried if there is access. I like to try slack tides near sunrise and sunset as that is when there is most activity. I prefer using live bait, but if you're a purist we have used small/medium crankbaits (not divers) with success. Last time we used Gulps and got a few fish.

A few notes: Lower you expectations. It is very much hit and miss. Dirty water can ruin you day or even trip although in Feb that should not be a problem. Be very, very aware of petty crime. Only bring what you hold in your hands or on your body. Don't park you car where you can't see it. Bring sunscreen and bug spray. Dengue fever is serious ****. Keep yourself hydrated as the tropical sun is very deceiving in its intensity, especially on overcast days. Forget about the east coast. I lived in Limon and have fished from Rio Colorado to Sixiaola. You're wasting your time without a boat and violent crime is more prevalent. Drive safely every where!

Have fun.

Sorry for the choppy writing...I'm tired.

You will have to research the law for the exact area you are visiting. Check it out online or by visiting the municipal building in town. Boat fisherman in the past needed a $24 license. I've heard the new license for all fisherman is $30. 

Pacific is def the way to go. I've fished from Tortuga Isle down to past quepos, near manuel antonio...

That is a good majority of the coast. As previously mentioned... look for estuarys where the river meets the ocean and other pools which hold fish..

and yes... look out for the crocs

pack sum heat if you can ;)

Goin back for 2 months in June.....