Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy B

My first batch of kit Needlefish

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I messed around a little with trying to get a thinner coat of etex on as a finish. By the last plug though (the yellow one) I decided to go a little thicker instead. I really like the liquid look you get from a little more etex I think.

Andy

Spanish olive over pearl white

Silver over pearl white

and

Yellow over flat white

sIMG_1119.jpg

sIMG_1118.jpg

I'm interested as well. they look amazing!

Thanks a ton everone! The complements are much appreciated. :)

The tail wraps are just dumb luck I think. The yellow lure was my 5th try at wiring a plug. Fortunately, they all turned out about the same. I am still scared I will mess it up each time though.

I learned the wrap from the video on **not welcome here **. I had questions after watching it but just gave it a shot as best I could and it worked out well enough. I bought a pair of knipex pliers like he suggested. The rest I just improvised. I can't do it like that guy though. My hands are not strong enough to bend the wraps themselves. So I make the loop with the pliers (the fun part), then grab the tag end of the wire with vice grips and do the wraps (the scary part). Because I hold the vice grips with one hand and the pliers with the other, I cannot steady the lure against the pressures, so I kind of hold it with my knees while I do half turns with the vice grips. When the wrap feels like it is starting to get tough, I cut the wire as close as I can and squeeze the tag end under with an old pair of thin bladed pliers I collected from someone over the years, That really does lock the whole thing together nicely. In the video he suggests channel lock I think. That's really it.

I'm not sure why it has worked out pretty well for me really. I also made a few tube-n-worms with the same type of wire and at best I could get the "wraps" to be like sloppy bag-tie twists. There was no way I could get a nice coil like on the plugs. Go figure.

Thanks again for the compliments!!

Andy

He said ** not welcome here ** :shock: very nice clean work .

Sorry fellas. I referenced the commercial site that sold me the kits. I think that is why the removed the name. Thanks for the support though!

Judging by the look of your work, while they may be from a kit, your skill level certainly looks well above moderate to say the least!

I am considering building a few from some kits available. Yours has a grommet in the hook hanger hole? very nice touch.

Great paint and finish. Tail wraps are very nice too! Inspiring to say the least...GREAT JOB MAN!