Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vinestbrew

I need some work done..Recomendations????

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I need some work done on one of my favorite rods, but I don't know anyone or anywhere to send it. I have a Loomis 1267c that has seen better days I need the guides redone and would like grips done like a legend. The rod has kind of a white wash look to it from years of salt , can that be corrected? Anyone have any recommendations on a builder and a ballpark $ on what I should expect.

Thanks Guys

Vine,

Sounds like you may need a stripping and complete refurbishing. That can be very costly depending on the guides selected. It may be less costly to buy a new factory rod. A skilled rod builder probably will charge a minimum of $150 plus the cost of any components.

I believe the 1267C is a 2-piece rod so shipping it to a builder for refurbishing is not a problem. Please check your PM for additional info.

Al

I guess what I was trying to figure out by asking the cost was should I rebuild or look for another? I guess I would be willing to put $200-$250 into it before I buy another rod. Of course this rod has some serious mojo and I can't put a price on that. I have some thinking to do :huh:

I guess what I was trying to figure out by asking the cost was should I rebuild or look for another? I guess I would be willing to put $200-$250 into it before I buy another rod. Of course this rod has some serious mojo and I can't put a price on that. I have some thinking to do :huh:

This is the kind of thing that is great to do yourself, if you possess the skills to do it. It's a labor of love that can make an old standby rod like new, and you can do it without spending very much money.

It's not usually worth paying someone to do this unless the rod you're dealing with is rare and/or unavailable any more (think Kennedy-Fisher). The Loomis is sorta like this: you can't get this rod, or blank, anymore, because Loomis stopped selling blanks to custom builders in 2008 or so, and then revamped their surf lineup last year.

If this is your favorite rod, if you sleep with it, then it might be worth redoing. Otherwise, I would suggest that a better allocation of money would be a new rod, either custom or factory. Or, you could take pictures, and post them here -- the good fellas on this board can tell you what kind of price you're looking at to get the rod refurbished.

^^^ what he said....

To do the legend style grip should cost about $20 for the materials (quick grip shrink tube and a vinyl butt cap), and a good set of alconite guides should go for up to around $50 depending on your layout at retail price. You'd expect to pay a rodbuilder for their time of stripping and rebuilding the rod on top of these costs which I would guess should cost something like $200-250 for a quality builder? I've never discussed this with a custom builder, but you'll see customs built on $100 (wholesale) blanks for sale for around $300-400 at tackle shops up my way so I'm just guessing based on that.

If you wanted to do the project yourself, you'd need to spend some short money on materials such as thread and epoxy. Other than that, the other things you need are standard stuff you already own like masking tape and razor blades.

My advice: Do it yourself and spend the extra $200 on keno (or on a $70 rod blank kit to practice on and $130 worth of keno)