Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Supermarket rotisserie chickens

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or a supermarket rotisserie chicken really starting to suck? :thdwn:

I used to be a big fan. A pretty good, healthy, quick meal for ~$5 when you're strapped for time. The last couple I bought at BJs and Stop & Shop have been......dubious at best. Real disappointing. This has especially been the case with Purdue birds.

Gotta try the ones from Costco. The best I have tried!

And I agree about the Stop&Shop ones. They have sucked lately! They just opened a new BJs, so their's have been good so far.

Also, we just got a Wegmans last month. Opened right across froom the new BJs. Their chickens looked outstanding, but haven't tried them yet. Maybe next week. :idea:

Haven't had one in a LONG time, so can't say as of late. I used to get one at Shaw's once in a long while......they were/are Perdue, and were decent for what they are. It was the lemon/pepper flavored.

hit the local fruit/meat store on the way home picked up one of there birds got three meals and a four lunchs out of the same bird. Ate three pieces the fourth I threw in a crock pot fior chicken soup was getting tired of roast chicken. OUr local Big Y does them as well not to bad either but the one from the fruit sotre are the best

Best deal in Costco -- the $5 chicken. Grab one every time we go. Salty skin!! Actually, salty bird too.

You right. They're definately brined. But they used to be 'fall off the bone' tender. Now, while the breat meat is done, the leg, thigh and wing joints are all really 'tight'. It also could be that they're using large roasters?

I wouldn't doubt the quality of the bird. I mean, on any given evening at BJs they'll have as many as 15 people standing and waiting for more fresh birds to come out of the rotisserie. They get scooped up as fast as they come out and get packaged. Given the volume, I can't imagine these birds not being super fresh.

I while back my wife bought a rotisserie "organic" bird there from the rotisserie, and it was $1 more, and also smaller (a fryer), and it was a completley different bird. Much better. But they don't always have them.

How the hell can someone raise poltry and sell it low enough for a store to still make a profit while only charging $5 a pop? That's a little scary to me. I get the appeal of a cooked and ready to go bird on a busy night, but just can't do it.

'eff Purdue too. Nasty operation, as are most of the big poultry places. I'd rather pay twice as much for a better quality bird and eat more veggies.

How the hell can someone raise poltry and sell it low enough for a store to still make a profit while only charging $5 a pop? That's a little scary to me. I get the appeal of a cooked and ready to go bird on a busy night, but just can't do it.

'eff Purdue too. Nasty operation, as are most of the big poultry places. I'd rather pay twice as much for a better quality bird and eat more veggies.

I always assumed these were chickens that were at the edge of safe storage and were priced to move.

I always assumed these were chickens that were at the edge of safe storage and were priced to move.

Kinda doubt that, more than likely lowest bid type stuff. Probably a loss leader as well. Chain stores are pretty darn fussy about accepting shaky merchandise, because their supply chain is so long they need plenty of time to sell it. A good 10 or 12% of the weight of the bird is water from the brine, anyhow.

Kinda doubt that, more than likely lowest bid type stuff. Probably a loss leader as well. Chain stores are pretty darn fussy about accepting shaky merchandise, because their supply chain is so long they need plenty of time to sell it. A good 10 or 12% of the weight of the bird is water from the brine, anyhow.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

One evening I ran over there for a chicken for dinner, and was waiting for the next batch to come out (along with at least 2 dozen other people). The girl there told me on a good day, they sell as many as 200 rotisserie birds! That's a lot of chicken. I'm very sure these birds are all top quality.

My wife gets the ones from Harris Teeter 'cause they're on sale weekly...they're OK.

The ones at Trader Joe's are very good, but they're not hot (no big deal for me, unless you're going on a picnic) Marinated, spiced and pre-cooked, then refrigerated...several different flavors.

Plenty of time to find discount chickens in the system as stocks in coolers build. Not that you're wrong and I never meant out of date food. But chill stocks for poultry are well published and this is a venue that moves a bunch.

I haven't bought one in years to be honest but they used to be a good source of tasty protein on the cheap and quick.

Plenty of time to find discount chickens in the system as stocks in coolers build. Not that you're wrong and I never meant out of date food. But chill stocks for poultry are well published and this is a venue that moves a bunch.

I haven't bought one in years to be honest but they used to be a good source of tasty protein on the cheap and quick.

Found a new source of statistics. :th: The funny thing is it's part of a web page I use every day at work.

National Ag Statistics Service