Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayCo

Winter Project #2

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So fishing is taking over my winter as well since there is no snow to slide on. Here is my second winter project. Does anybody else have a project they are working on? Got any pics of your winter project? Post em' share the wealth.

Just a disclaimer but the "shrink wrap over twist ties" VS handle mod is not an idea of my own, but that of a fellow SOLer. I would know jack if it wasn't for this site.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2855087/width/525/height/700][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2855115/width/525/height/700]

don't know and can't find the exact thread. I remember seeing it and asked how it was done. pretty simple, just have to get your hands on some zip-ties and rod building shrink wrap.

Hell yeah Martin! that's the picture that inspired me. I think I even PM'd you back in the day on how you got that done. The handle feels much better now. I hope it holds up getting scraped on rocks and such.

I used two layers of the shrink wrap to give it a little more girth.

Food for thought.  headscratch.gif

When saw what you were doing, the first thought that came to me was that you were using a handle cushion for a high pressure gas cylinder.  I don't know if it is the cushioning factor or increasing the diameter of the reel handle that is your interest; but, valve handles have about a diameter of about 2 ½”.  There are rubber cushions go over these.  Alternatively, one might also consider other handles, if a larger handle is the goal--perhaps spigot handles.

Looks good. How does that rod builders shrink wrap come. Is it in a roll or tube, and what did you need to use to shrink it? Will a butane lighter do the job?

Looks good. How does that rod builders shrink wrap come. Is it in a roll or tube, and what did you need to use to shrink it? Will a butane lighter do the job?

bought a foot of it from a rod building store in Freeport LI. Don't quite know how to answer the tube or roll questions. It's packaged in a roll but it's shrink tubing. I just used a regular household lighter to shrink it.

I'd try a Hair Dryer before I tried a butane lighter.

I'd try a Hair Dryer before I tried a butane lighter.

A hair dryer or heat gun (better) will give much more even heat than a lighter. Even holding a torch or lighter will work but if held at more of a distance but, as i said, the heat tends to be uneven and is more likely to melt the shrink tubing.